Thread: "Cannot connect to server" error while sending mail in Webmail client

Question "Cannot connect to server" error while sending mail in Webmail client

Hi all,

I have been happily running Zimbra Collaboration Suite 6.0.6 GA Open Source Edition for several months now, and recently upgraded to 6.0.6.1 when it became available. I am running ZCS on my CentOS Linux 5.5 i386 home server and haven't had any problems with it (save for one minor issue) up until now.

I was using the Webmail interface just fine until all of a sudden I received an error last week when I tried to send an e-mail. The error reads simply, "Cannot connect to server," and there is nothing in the pane that appears after I click "Show Details."

I have restarted the server many times and have tried from different computers and by entering different e-mail addresses, subjects, and messages in the Webmail interface, but still get the same error every time.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about Zimbra to be able to troubleshoot / resolve this problem, so I thought I'd ask about it here in the forums.

I appreciate any and all assistance given and look forward to hearing from the community. I really like ZCS and applaud the Zimbra developers for creating such an excellent product.

Thanks in advance!

I guess the first thing to do would be to check the status of the Zimbra server. My guess is that one of the services isn't running.

1. Login to the server as root
    2. su - zimbra
    3. zmcontrol status

Question RE: "Cannot connect to server" error while sending mail in Webmail client

Hi soxfan,

Thanks for your prompt response. I checked the status of the Zimbra services as per your instructions and all services are marked as "Running." What's more, the people I am trying to send the e-mails to get the messages, even though Zimbra gives me the error. I thought this was rather odd, as you would think that the messages wouldn't get sent if Zimbra says "Cannot connect to server," but for some reason they are.

I hope this helps - feel free to ask any questions you may have.
    Thanks!

Hmmm, that is strange. Try looking in /opt/zimbra//log/mailbox.log after you get this error to see if there is any further info about the error.

Question RE: "Cannot connect to server" error while sending mail in Webmail client

Hey soxfan,

Thanks again for your reply. To make it easier for me to read the log, I cleared the log before I tried sending another message.

I tried sending an e-mail through the Webmail client and got the same "Cannot connect to server" error, but then when I checked the /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log file I found that the log was blank.

So...I guess we're back to square 1, so to speak.

Might you have any other ideas / suggestions for me, or does anyone else possibly know of a way to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

try to access using ip address and check mailbox.log

i meant zimbra.log file for mtalogs