Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a preferred distribution??

Hybrid View

Default Is there a preferred distribution??

Just wondering if there is a preferred distribution for installing Zimbra on if I am starting from scratch. Right now, I am using Ubuntu as my preferred dist, but it looks like support is a little sketchy for that.

I have no problems using Fedora or anything else.

Thanks!

Jeremy

RedHat gets the most testing today and is an easy upgrade to the network edition if you plan to use that. Fedora is also good. We plan to make Ubuntu better as it's on our list to make an official build. For now you could use the how-to posted here:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1644
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

thank you very much...

Hi,

I used bluetoad's Wiki to install on Ubuntu Dapper, and i've had no problems since installing. There were a few minor snags during the install, but once I got it sussed, I made notes and have done the install on a few other testing machines since then with no problems.

There is only one thing that doesn't work properly - The logger doesn't report server statistics in the admin console. I could very easily see this being my fault though. I haven't tried to get it working.

Can't wait for an official Ubuntu build!

-n8

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

i use it on debian and rhel4. i've had a few problems with debian that need the odd manual tweak or coaxing, whereas rhel4 runs perfectly everytime, rock solid. as it seems to be zimbra's main dev/testing/customer platform that's probably the one to go for!

Would it work on Fedora Core 5 or do I have to load only Core 4 for Zimbra to work?

Angry sudo apt-get install zimbra!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    We plan to make Ubuntu better as it's on our list to make an official build.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1644
    Is this KevinH guy still working there? This was 5 months ago.

Default cent os

I have installed zimbra oss in 10 small office on cent os 4.3, primarilly on cheap dell 1u rack servers 2gigs of ram on mirrored sata 160gig drives(3 year next business day warranties). Works great for 10 user offices. One note if you do not have appropriate dns entries set up, an easy way to cheat on the install is use dnsmaq on the install box and configure as dns proxy and have it return mx records for the domain.

p.s also I have found compaq dl380 with dual procs and 1 gig of ram will work on small office installs, and they are really cheap on craigslist....

sfspin

Want to talk about cheap? I run Zimbra on a $299 eMachines desktop with a Sempron 3000+ and 1 gig of ram. I bought an extra machine, so if one fails, a second is ready to go, just have to power it on. Works great, no problems so far. I'm using Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS, and have 24 users.

-n8

What are you doing for data replication? You are not using a SAN with $300 machines, correct??