Thread: Disable webmail access for some users

Default Disable webmail access for some users

I want to allow only specific user to access email using webmail. For this I want to disabled webmail access. How It possible? I am newbie with zimbra & evluating it.
    Last edited by Dirk; 06-11-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: (moved to new thread)

The short answer to your short question would be an "organizational" solution. Set a long password for this user. Set this password in his local email client (connected with IMAP4 or POP3 to the Zimbra server) but don't give the password to the user.

That's not a perfered solutions. Better way remove as my suggestion mail option from major featurs allow only limited fetures (such as calender etc.) & configure email client using pop.
    If you any good idea which helps in better way to zimbra user community provide us.

The engineering behind zimbra does not support this. It would be possible though to just block ports 80/443 to the server and allow only 25/110 to it, this would shut down web access for all users though.

The "Mail" feauture tab can be disabled in the "Zimbra Administration Console" (see attachment) for a specific user. Then the Mail tab is gone and the others are still there.

If you separate the mail server from the zimbra server like I do for some customers then you have full control which features you give to each user. For example I could give the enduser the above described "limited" webclient access without Mail, but a separate IMAP mailbox access on the MTA (mail) server for his email desktop client.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quite right, but that's disabling all 'Mail' not just web access. Clearing that tickbox has the affect of disabling everything in "Mail Features" below it, which includes pop3 and imap access.

Dirk: I can disable/enable Mail in "Major Features" section (Mail tab on or off for webclient) and IMAP/POP in "Mail Features" section (IMAP access for desktop email client) separately.

1. Disable Mail tab in webclient but keep IMAP access
    > Major Features > [ ] Mail
    [Save]
    ( [x] IMAP in "Mail Features" section is now greyed out, but checked and works. )

2. Disable Mail tab in webclient and also disable IMAP access
    > Mail Features > [ ] IMAP
    [Save] (on top)
    > Major Features > [ ] Mail
    [Save]

If [ ] Mail in "Major Features" section is unchecked, the check boxes in "Mail Features" section are greyed out. But if I enable Mail in Major Features, click [save] on the top, then I can switch the checkboxes in the Mail Features section, [save], and again disable Mail (for keeping it disabled it in the webclient).

Besides the at first glance "weird looking" use cases, it gives a lot of flexibility.
    Thats why I like Zimbra compared to other solutions.

Besides the possibilities on the Zimbra server I sometimes use an external MTA/Spam Firewall and can allow IMAP access separately from Zimbra (which is then used only for webmail and email archive access user interface).

Zimbra version for the above tests was
    Client Version: 6.0.6_GA_2330.DEBIAN5
    Client Release: 20100505202921
    Build Date: 20100505-1939
    Last edited by easytouch; 06-11-2010 at 02:21 AM.

Thanks for your support. Disable mail from Major function is quiet good for those whom never provide access email over web, Disable pop & imap using firewall from external world & configure email clients using pop in LAN.
    Is there any other way? I requested zimbra team to do some engineering on this also. Becauseita quite feature for any orgiansation.