Thread: 550 error for hostname

Default 550 error for hostname

I hope this makes sense...

With our setup our mail server hostname is mail.domain.com and our zimbra was set up with that as the name. Our MX records point "domain.com" to this host so that user@domain.com will be processed by our mail server.

Since the hostname is mail.domain.com, users are set up like: user@mail.domain.com and an alias is created for user@domain.com so that mail to that address will be properly delivered.

I use nullmailer on other hosts in our network and sometimes sendmail to deliver cron messages and such. With other hosts I like to have mail show up as @domain.com instead of @host.domain.com so in nullmailer I set /etc/mailname to @domain.com and in sendmail I set up masquerading so that mail shows as @domain.com.

The problem I'm having is that mail to root@domain.com gets rejected with a 550 error.

Jun 14 10:54:36 host nullmailer[28161]: smtp: Failed: 550 5.1.1 <root@domain.com>: Recipient address rejected: domain.com.

However if I send to root@mail.domain.com it works. Is there an easy way to fix this? Sounds simple but I haven't found the answer yet.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You MX record should point to the FQDN of your server:

Code:
    mail.domain.com
    You should also have changed the domain to 'domain.com' name when you were asked during the initial install. You can set your MX record to the correct format and you can rename the default domain from 'mail.domain.com' to 'domain.com' using the command line tool zmprov renameDomain - check the usage and make sure you take a full backup before you make any changes like this.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for your quick reply. Actually our mx is mail.domain.com. I will try the other suggestions. It was set up like this before I got to it. Fun stuff.

I anticipate changing the hostname could cause a whole host of problems since each account is user@mail.domain.com. I want to plan a time where I can test this on a backup server before implementing.

For some reason we're showing errors where there were none before. Is there anything I can do to "whitelist" domain.com in the meantime to help with these errors?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by msheean View Post
    I anticipate changing the hostname could cause a whole host of problems since each account is user@mail.domain.com. I want to plan a time where I can test this on a backup server before implementing.

For some reason we're showing errors where there were none before. Is there anything I can do to "whitelist" domain.com in the meantime to help with these errors?
    What errors are you seeing in the log files? There are several articles on whitelisting in the wiki: Search results for "whitelist" - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.