Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra 5.0.16 upgrade to 6.0.7.1

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra 5.0.16 upgrade to 6.0.7.1

Shutdown and backed up zimbra 5.0.16, followed directions in release notes to 6.0.7.1 - no errors reported as you can see in the logs, and everything works except for the mail transport. I can not send or receive email. Can anyone figure this one out as this is my 2nd attempt to upgrade zimbra 5.0.16 to a newer version. First attempt to upgrade gave the same result with no mail transport and that was to version 6.0.6
    Any help or pointers will be welcomed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Post the output of the following command:

Code:
    zmcontrol status
    Do you have any other mail server (Sendmail perhaps) running on this machine? If you have disable itr and restart ZImbra. When you say "...everything works except for the mail transport" what, exactly, do you mean by that statement?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

No sendmail installed as this was an upgrade to a working system. After upgrade all systems showed running as my attached logs show it was trying to accept email but failed for some reason. I've since restored my backup to 5.0.16 but I'd like to figure this out so I may upgrade and work out these issues. After deleting the /opt/zimbra/ files and restoring the backup mail transfered correctly.

zmcontrol status
    Host mail2.asoninc.com
    antispam Running
    imapproxy Running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Running
    mta Running
    snmp Running
    stats Running

Quote Originally Posted by ddenning View Post
    No sendmail installed as this was an upgrade to a working system. After upgrade all systems showed running as my attached logs show it was trying to accept email but failed for some reason. I've since restored my backup to 5.0.16 but I'd like to figure this out so I may upgrade and work out these issues. After deleting the /opt/zimbra/ files and restoring the backup mail transfered correctly.
    It seems like it is some kind of postfix rewriting that is causing the problem. These errors appear after every connection. Do you perhaps have any custom postfix configurations under release 5 that are not compatable with postfix under version 6 ?

Jun 22 19:52:32 mail2 postfix/trivial-rewrite[8627]: fatal: open database /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport.db: No such file or directory
    Jun 22 19:52:33 mail2 postfix/master[590]: warning: process /opt/zimbra/postfix/libexec/trivial-rewrite pid 8627 exit status 1
    Jun 22 19:52:33 mail2 postfix/master[590]: warning: /opt/zimbra/postfix/libexec/trivial-rewrite: bad command startup -- throttling

My server has only ever had release 6 (from 6.0.1 and upgraded for each subsequent release) and the /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf directory contains nothing but a main.cf file. Where did transport.db come from ?

Not that I know of, as the only custom config is the domain relay for an external domain ddenning.com
    Have there been changes to how domain relaying is done from 5 to 6 that would affect this. Is there a command, report or log to show this in zimbra?

Default fixed

I'm not sure this is the correct fix, but I was having the same problem with transport.db not existing. I did just upgrade from 5.x and couldn't send mail due to this error.

What I did was modify /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/main.cf:

Original:

transport_maps = hash:/opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport,proxy:ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-transport.cf

Modified:

transport_maps = proxy:ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-transport.cf

I then ran:

/opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postfix reload

Mail now goes through.

Default how to create the transport.db hash file

Well while my previous post does fix the problem, it's only temporary. When Zimbra restarts, something rewrites the main.cf file with the hash config for transport.db again.

So, digging back to some old postfix experience, I recalled the makemap command. This is used for creating hash files for postfix. Since Zimbra is looking for this, I thought, why not create one?

So, I did:

makemap -N hash /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport < /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport

That command uses the file /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport to create the /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport.db hash file.

On my server, /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport is just the default "read me" file installed by postfix/zimbra. It's full of nothing but commented documentation.

After doing that command, my mail is now going through just fine, and the reference to the transport.db file is in my config file.

Now, why that reference is in there is still a mystery. It wasn't in my original 5.0.x config, and isn't in the 6.0.x config on any of my other servers. Very odd on that part, but I'm happy it's working. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Default Testing this Solution

Quote Originally Posted by davestahr View Post

makemap -N hash /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport < /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport
    I'm currently using centos 5.5, and no makemap command exists on the system. What package includes the makemap command.

Thanks,
    -Dave

Default Temporarily Works

Quote Originally Posted by davestahr View Post
    What I did was modify /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/main.cf:

Original:

transport_maps = hash:/opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport,proxy:ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-transport.cf

Modified:

transport_maps = proxy:ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-transport.cf

I then ran:

/opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postfix reload
    This temp solution worked for me also. But I can not find makemap, did find postmap (/opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postmap) but the postmap command shows the below errors.

sbin]# ./postmap -N hash /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport < /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport
    postmap: fatal: open hash: No such file or directory

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
    -Dave

Issue resolved. the below URL explains the issue.
    Configuring Postfix to work with piped scripts - Zimbra :: Wiki
    I ran the below script to resolve the issue.
    su - zimbra
    postmap /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/transport
    zmcontrol restart

Mail transport is running normally now. Thank you for the pointers.