Thread: Two Sites + Two Servers

Question Two Sites + Two Servers

Hi

I am looking for advice on how best to configure our 2 new servers. The Multiple server guide (Multiple-Server Installation) seems to be more about splitting the load/services between multiple servers. I don't particularly want that, I want to fully functional servers, one one each site. Our scenario is as follows:

2 sites, 400kms apart connected by a 4Mb ptp link. ±200 mailboxes on the one site and ±100 on the second. At the moment we have 2 postfix servers, one on each site. Site A users have accounts on the local servers, Site B the same. Users do move between both sites quite regularly.

We are using external LDAP Auth and have replicated LDAP servers on both sites.

I have several questions.

- Which components to I not need to install on the server in SiteB?
    - Do I create the users on both servers? With the limited BW between the sites, replication of mail is not realistic at this time.
    - If I split the users, how does the server in Site A know the mail is destined for a user at Site B. Do I have to run a zmprov command for each and every user?
    - Will zimbraproxy be relevant in this scenario? It seems as if it can redirect a user from SiteB's request back to site be when they are at SiteA.

Any advice and previous experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by simonfishley View Post
    Hi

- Which components to I not need to install on the server in SiteB?
    at a bare minimum, probably zimbra-core, zimbra-store, zimbra-spell. you probably want to make a replicia of zimbra-ldap at site b too though. you could probably do this on the same server if you have enough power since you have so few users at siteb

- Do I create the users on both servers? With the limited BW between the sites, replication of mail is not realistic at this time.
    no, when you create a user you can specify wether their mailbox is on the server at site a or the server at site b.

- If I split the users, how does the server in Site A know the mail is destined for a user at Site B. Do I have to run a zmprov command for each and every user?
    zimbra-mta does a lookup when it receives an e-mail for the mailHost attribute of a user which tells it which host (sitea or siteb) to deliver it to

- Will zimbraproxy be relevant in this scenario? It seems as if it can redirect a user from SiteB's request back to site be when they are at SiteA.
    yes and no. if a user tries to login to the server at sitea, but his mailbox is on siteb's server, it will automatically redirect his web session to the other host without zimbra-proxy. but you will see the different address in the browser.

zimbra proxy allows you to deploy a http proxy that the user logs in ot, and it handles proxying the session to the correct mail server.