Thread: Zimbra emails to OTRS

Default Zimbra emails to OTRS

Hello,

Can we implement some fetching emails activity. Actually I want to use Zimbra Open Source and like to use OTRS Ticket system. So can anyone tell me that how can I fetch emails i.e. transfer the received mails to OTRS in particular queue. Is OTRS supported with zimbra.

Anyone plz.

OTRS can fetch messages via POP, and zimbra supports POP.

Thanx hivos !!

Can u just let me know how can we do fetching of zimbra emails into OTRS.

I think there is postmaster account option in OTRS admin account where we can set the account name and IP address of server and using POP we can fetch it.
    If no, then let me know wht setting should I have to do except the above thing and wht else is required for the same ?

Also, we have seen that Zimbra itself is one server system i.e. it installs the packages by itself. So can we run OTRS system on it with some required settings. Because I think that there is already a mysql in zimbra, so two mysql will not run on one system. So kindly anyone guide about it. Or else I have to go for two different system i.e. one will have zimbra and other can be used for OTRS.

I would advise to install zimbra on a dedicated system. Regarding the OTRS email accounts: Receiving emails

i follow the advise of using a dedicated server for zimbra.
    mysql isnt the only problem. you need also another apache installation so you need a second ip anyway (oyu cant use 2 http server on the same IP and Port)

But you can do 2 other things.
    you can use the mysql instance in the zimbra server for whatever you want (need another user and database)

and actually you CAN install more than one instance of mysql on one server.
    simply use another port.

for example use anohter my.cnf file with another port/config and start another instance with it (of course you gonna need anohter datadir/another socket and another PID directory)

you can even use another mysql version by installing it in another location

(we are running dedicated mysql hosts with up to 25 dirrefent instances but of course you need a lot of ram for that)

BUT i would not recommend things like that for average user. if you dont know what youre really doing (and you dont otherwise you would not aks that question in that way - sorry no offense :-)

just wanted to point out that it is possible even its not recommended

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    i follow the advise of using a dedicated server for zimbra.
    mysql isnt the only problem. you need also another apache installation so you need a second ip anyway (oyu cant use 2 http server on the same IP and Port)
    You don't need a second IP address, there are alternatives if you look around te forums.

But you can do 2 other things.
    you can use the mysql instance in the zimbra server for whatever you want (need another user and database)
    You should not do that, you may lose your data during an upgrade of Zimbra and it's not recommended for performance reasons.

and actually you CAN install more than one instance of mysql on one server.
    simply use another port.
    Zimbra already uses a non-standard port so you don't need to 'use another port'.

you can even use another mysql version by installing it in another location
    You don't need to do that either, the Zimbra MySQL instance is installed in a non-standard directory.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

@phoenix jsut to clear out :-)

Second IP Is Recommended. Other solutions (like port translation/Proxying (ngix or something liek that) and co are not recommended from my point ofview since you get another peace in your chain that can fail and use resource and your setup is getting more complex

about second: i didnt say you should just you can technically use the instance from zimbra. implications should be clear.
    you should not do it anyway sbecause you shuold tune your instance on what kind of data you wanna store there - a few large blob tables with 1mill recorsd is another setup than a backend for a webcms with many tables and many joins but less counts of rows....
    difference can be a couple tousand percent / request response time
    so no you should not use same db :-)

and yes you need to install on another port and database dir - another than zimbra i never said another then standard (since the directorys vary anyway from distribution to distribution)