Thread: Migrating to ZImbra

Hybrid View

Default Migrating to ZImbra

We are migrating from a 3rd party IMAP based email system to Zimbra. I'm told that the only way to do it right is to create an outlook pts file from each account and then use the PST importer.

We have bad experience with IMAPSync that some emails may cause the zimbra mailbox to break. We are told that the pst importer does all of the correct input checks to make sure "bad" email won't break the mailbox.

I find it very hard to believe that the only way to migrate 500 mailboxes to Zimbra would involve putting people to manually connect outlook to existing IMAP accounts, create PST files which may be 10GB and sometimes 15GB in size and then import them one by one to Zimbra.

Was i misinformed or is this the only way to migrate to Zimbra?

Not had any issues with IMAPsync so you would need to provide further details. Are you able to get them into mbox format ? You could try one of these alternative approaches dependant on what format you can get the data in :- Mail Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki

When I migrated, I opened Outlook 2007, connected to my old Mailbox with IMAP and to my Zimbra Mailbox with ZCS (MAPI). I dragged and dropped folders from the IMAP to the Zimbra.

Most of the mail moved ok but some did not. At some point the zimbra account would show me an empty tree till i removed a single email message from the mailbox. I would get error emails with attached XML file stating that there is some kind of problem with the mailbox at some location. A single mail item was responsible for this problem and as soon as it was deleted all was ok.

I also needed to refresh the folders tree many times but I'm guessing this is an outlook problem and not Zimbra related.