Thread: Cancel mailbox move / remove new mailbox

Hybrid View

Default Cancel mailbox move / remove new mailbox

Hi,

Using zimbra admin' s move mailbox feature on a very large mailbox, the action failed and spat out a generic javascript error. The mailbox is now stuck in maintenance mode and is completely inaccessible. Trying to edit or view mail, we just get an error in zimbra admin:
    Code:
    JavaScript error encountered in method ZaAccountViewController.prototype._setView message: this._view is undefined fileName: https://saturn.datasyncintra.net:7071/zimbraAdmin/js/Admin_all.js.zgz?v=100616202956 lineNumber: 10771 stack: ([object Object],(void 0),(void 0))@https://saturn.datasyncintra.net:7071/zimbraAdmin/js/Admin_all.js.zgz?v=100616202956:10771 ([object Object],(vo...
    Since it seems the mailbox move did not happen correctly, I just want to restore the old mailbox on the old server and cancel the operation, but that does not seem to be an option. zmmailboxmove offers --purgeOld, but what do you do when the move is not successful?

workaround: for some reason, we were able to get into the mailbox by using zmprov to manually set the account status to active... changes did not take effect immediately, but after about 10 minutes it seemed to work. There may have been other factors involved, but if so they did not appear in the logs. I would still like to know what the alternatives are for canceling a mailbox move request, though.
    Last edited by jxn; 08-24-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: found a workaround....

Quote Originally Posted by jxn View Post
    Hi,

Using zimbra admin' s move mailbox feature on a very large mailbox, the action failed and spat out a generic javascript error. The mailbox is now stuck in maintenance mode and is completely inaccessible. Trying to edit or view mail, we just get an error in zimbra admin:
    Code:
    JavaScript error encountered in method ZaAccountViewController.prototype._setView message: this._view is undefined fileName: https://saturn.datasyncintra.net:7071/zimbraAdmin/js/Admin_all.js.zgz?v=100616202956 lineNumber: 10771 stack: ([object Object],(void 0),(void 0))@https://saturn.datasyncintra.net:7071/zimbraAdmin/js/Admin_all.js.zgz?v=100616202956:10771 ([object Object],(vo...
    Since it seems the mailbox move did not happen correctly, I just want to restore the old mailbox on the old server and cancel the operation, but that does not seem to be an option. zmmailboxmove offers --purgeOld, but what do you do when the move is not successful?

workaround: for some reason, we were able to get into the mailbox by using zmprov to manually set the account status to active... changes did not take effect immediately, but after about 10 minutes it seemed to work. There may have been other factors involved, but if so they did not appear in the logs. I would still like to know what the alternatives are for canceling a mailbox move request, though.
    How big is the mailbox do you know? I am thinking to move a 16GB mailbox but you got me worried.

Shan,

This mailbox was 8GB. We were having problems with some sort of corruption with this mailbox account before the move, however, so I don't think you should be that apprehensive about moving yours it if is treating you well. We are actually still working with Zimbra on determining what problems exist with this particular mailbox (related to a canceled PST import choking on large attachments, I believe).

However, I would still like some clarification on what to do when this move action fails; I imagine you are in the same position. If you have the space, I would consider duplicating the mailbox first as a backup, then performing the move, just so you're sure you have all the mail data in-tact.

Thank you for your comments. I successfully moved a 16GB mailbox (took two hours). I got a tip from Zimbra suport that you can do a tgz backup with this:

zmmailbox -z -m <mailbox> gru "//?fmt=tgz" > mailbox.tgz

The do a REST import. I have not tried this. I used zmmailboxmove.