Thread: SAMBA and Zimbra

Default SAMBA and Zimbra

I have been having a terrible time getting Zimbra and SAMBA to work together. I can setup either fine separately. I think part of the problem is that most of the guides don't specify exact versions of the platforms they are using, and I want to use a recent version of SAMBA.

Generally we run Centos but will to run different distro if it make integration easier. I can not even get Zimbra to install on suse 11.3 (seems the only "supported" distro with a recent version of SAMBA), as it complains about GMP not found but it is installed... I suspect it needs an older version of suse 11, but the download page for Zimbra just says 11.

Is there a complete set of instructions for putting these together that includes version numbers of distros and packages to use as taking the latest "supported" versions do not work. Samba 3.3 is probably the oldest version I could use.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

It would help if you outlined what you've done so far in trying to implement posix accounts and what errors you encountered, did you also search the forums and wiki for articles such as this: UNIX and Windows Accounts in Zimbra LDAP and Zimbra Admin UI - Zimbra :: Wiki?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It would help if you outlined what you've done so far in trying to implement posix accounts and what errors you encountered, did you also search the forums and wiki for articles such as this: UNIX and Windows Accounts in Zimbra LDAP and Zimbra Admin UI - Zimbra :: Wiki?
    I tried lots of different setups with different errors.

I tried the above previously and soon realized it was intended for 5 and so mainly followed the wiki for 6.0 at UNIX and Windows Accounts in Zimbra LDAP and Zimbra Admin UI 6.0 - Zimbra :: Wiki (and they use a version of samba too old for my requirements.)

I think part of the problem is nothing seems to list any distro along with 6.x version of Zimbra and recent versions of samba. If you suggest a specific distro and method (IE: Samba from source, or repo, etc.) I'll retry and give more specifics.

Not that this will help you, but I too tried in vain to get this working, was working to a fashion but I eventually gave up, my stumbling block was getting 'groups' working correctly for share access.