Thread: How to share calendars

Default How to share calendars

Hello everyone,

I've got a question, the answer should be very simple, but I don't see the point, so here we go:

How can I share a calendar with others, so that they can see an modify the entries there?

In the web interface, I rightclick on the calendar > properties > add share > share to local users/groups > in the Mail: field I type the name of a group containing some of the users, choose "manager", and that's it, as far as I understand it.

(sorry if the above is not correctly translated - I only see the german interface)

Now how do the other users see my calendar? How can they click themselves to my calendar?

If they point to

https://zimbra.example.com/home/me@e.../Calendar.html

they can see the calendar, but they cannont change it, even though I made the group a manager.

Shouldn't it be possible to click oneself to a calendar instead of knowing the mentioned URL?

Sorry if this sounds confused, but I don't see the right way.

Thanks for help, and greetings from munich!
    Andre

they should receive an e-mail letting them know you shared yoru calendar with them, and a button in the email to accept or deny the share. if they accept it, your calendar will be added as another calendar in their list that they can toggle on/off and add/view appointments on

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    they should receive an e-mail letting them know you shared yoru calendar with them, and a button in the email to accept or deny the share. if they accept it, your calendar will be added as another calendar in their list that they can toggle on/off and add/view appointments on
    ...I see... I have turned off E-Mail, because we only need calendar and tasks, as we have another mail system.

Is there another way to accept the share? As the admin I would like to provide access between dozens of users, without having everyone to accept dozens of shares.
    If that doesn't work, then I have to turn on the e-mail system, which is not a problem, but a little more work for me, and a lot of clicks for the users.

Thanks for your hint!
    Andre

Maybe this can help

Zmmailbox - Zimbra :: Wiki

Go to Preferences -> Sharing

there they can see things that have been shared with them

Hello bdial,

Go to Preferences -> Sharing

there they can see things that have been shared with them
    Thanks again for this, it seems to work. But...

...if I accept a share like this, then I see the shared calendar merged into mine. There is a new calender on the left, which I can check or uncheck. But no matter if it's checked or unchecked, the shared calendar is displayed.

Now, I have for testing purposes shared the calendar of the whole team to me (16 Members), and so I cannot see anything anymore. Appointments everywhere.

What am I doing wrong? How can I switch on and off certain shares?

Thanks again for all the help here! Zimbra is a complex beast...

Greetings from Munich,
    Andre

pretty wierd. i wonder if you'd see the same behavior using zmmailbox to mount the calendar.

if usera is the person who has shared his calendar, and userb is the person you want to have this calendar added to, you can do a command like this on the zimbra server

Code:
    zmmailbox -z -m userb@domain.com cm --view appointment -F# /UserA-Calendar usera@domain.com /Calendar
    you might want to get familiar with zmmailbox per the link posted earlier in this thread, it's a great tool for managing this kind of stuff.

see if that has the same issue. if so, youll probably have to file a support request as i've never seen that behavior and we use shared calendars extensively.

pretty wierd. i wonder if you'd see the same behavior using zmmailbox to mount the calendar.
    [...]
    you might want to get familiar with zmmailbox per the link posted earlier in this thread, it's a great tool for managing this kind of stuff.
    I already made extensive use of zmmailbox, as I am more familiar with CLIs than moving mice.

OK, the point is that it seems to work now even though I didn't change anything. For me it looks like if the problem before was not so much the zimbra, but the browser that may have had a problem with all the skripting stuff.

Another question as you are making extensive use of the sharing mechanism: I it possible to share tags in your environment? I can create a new appointment in the calendar of someone else. But I can't tag this appointment. It is not possible to drop the tag onto the appointment, and when right clicking the tag-option is greyed out.

If tagging does not work: how could one share categorized appointments like "Meeting" (should show up in say red in everyone's calendar), "Holiday" (should show up in say green in everyone's calendar)?

...and once again: thanks for the help here!

Geetings,
    A.

Update: I now could reproduce this problem: Sometimes calendars are not shown/hidden accordingly to the checkboxes on the left. Then I logout / login again, and everything is fine again.
    Last edited by Alphaphi; 09-14-2010 at 07:12 AM.