I am in a state of total confusion now, and really need some help.
My scenario is the following:
- Our webserver, which hosts our main domain (domain.no) is on one server.
- Zimbra is installed on another server, and responds to mail.domain.no.
- Both machines run Ubuntu. Our webserver is Apache2.
We have bought a certificate which allows for up to five subdomains in addition to our main domain.
The process of bying the certificate went like this:
- On our Apache webserver I had to generate a CSR (Certificate Server Request.) When generated, this was then sent to the Company that issues the certificate.
- They then sent us our certificate in plain-text.
My question is this:
What file do I have to copy from the Apache webserver to the Zimbra-server in order to place the private key (generated on the Apache-server) on the Zimbra-server? (And in what format?)
Because my assumption is this:
The private key-file is generated at the same time the CSR is generated. Is this correct? If not, please forgive my ignorance and guide me in the right direction...
I have searched the forum and wiki, I have googled and yahooed(!), but the more I read, the more confused I get. Sorry...
I appreciate any response!