Thread: Some mail delete itself

Default Some mail delete itself

I am not sure but some user say own mail box some mail are deleted itself.I have 400 users use zimbra mail.3-5 user have say smae problem.can this happen or some conf can delete this mail for user.

Yes i have also noticed, some mail which i only read in the preview pane has dissappeared now that i am looking for it after 4 months...why is that? is it not possible to retreive these lost mails.

Thanks,
    Vipin.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by driftingprogrammer View Post
    Yes i have also noticed, some mail which i only read in the preview pane has dissappeared now that i am looking for it after 4 months...why is that? is it not possible to retreive these lost mails.
    There is no feature in Zimbra that will delete email, the usual reason for mail 'disappearing' is that it's deleted by a user using a client that has deleted the email. Are you actually sure that the mail has been deleted and not that is just not visible? Have you tried a search in the Web UI, have you also tried setting the initial search (in the user Preferences tab) to the following:

Code:
    in:inbox or is:unread
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

yes i tried searching using the zimbra web ui but, there was an important email with a initial password for a website, i remember specifically putting it in a folder called pending...i have been in the company for only 6 months so all my emails in the trash are also still there, i went through each and every mail for the past 6 months, spent the entire day doing that but no luck

The webui search infact does not work at all, i am accessing zibra through oracle beehive, not sure if these products are always shipped together...
    if i type from:k for example i get no results at all when i should.

Thanks,
    Vipin.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by driftingprogrammer View Post
    The webui search infact does not work at all, i am accessing zibra through oracle beehive, not sure if these products are always shipped together...
    if i type from:k for example i get no results at all when i should.
    I've no idea what Oracle beehive is. What happens if you access the account through the Zimbra Web UI?
    Last edited by phoenix; 04-27-2012 at 04:38 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

You might try asking the Zimbra Admin interface to re-index the user's account, too. Usually is someone complains about search not working the index has gotten corrupted.

Also, there is actually a feature in Zimbra that will delete old mail. If you look in the Class of Service settings in the Advanced tab there's a section near the bottom for Email Retention Policy. There's three categories, one for Email in general, one for Trash, and one for Junk. Trash and Junk both default to 30 days (if someone doesn't empty them in that long, it'll delete things on its own from those two folders). The "Email" one is the one that might be biting you here *if* that's what's happening. That one defaults to 0 ("keep everything"). If it's set to something other than zero that might be what you're hitting.

Also, I once had a user using Apple Mail to connect to Zimbra via IMAP and for some reason his client started deleting every message that came in as it came in. He never figured out why, and it stopped doing it when he restarted his Mac.