Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra Binary installer for Solaris 10/OpenSolaris?

Default Zimbra Binary installer for Solaris 10/OpenSolaris?

Zimbra,

First off, I would like to say that your product is great. It's got all of the features I could ever need, and it takes about 5 minutes to setup. I couldn't be more impressed.

I do have some recommendations (these may have been addressed elsewhere).

1) When you install Zimbra on a server, Zimbra takes over. It binds to all IP addresses, it pretty much owns your entire box. There will be no serving of http/https while zimbra is around. Is there a way to bind zimbra to only 1 IP? Would it just simply be editing the iptables redirects?

2) Fedora and RHEL are great and all, but I would really like to run Zimbra in a Solaris 10 zone.. This would rule out the need for #1, because Zimbra could own the zone and the server could have other zones for web serving and such.. This is also a more secure model since if my webserver zone gets hacked, the attacker doesn't instantly get access to my email.

Keep up the great work! I'm definitely spreading the word to my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by mikea
    1) When you install Zimbra on a server, Zimbra takes over. It binds to all IP addresses, it pretty much owns your entire box. There will be no serving of http/https while zimbra is around. Is there a way to bind zimbra to only 1 IP? Would it just simply be editing the iptables redirects?
    Yes I think in iptables you can set it for just one IP.

Quote Originally Posted by mikea
    2) Fedora and RHEL are great and all, but I would really like to run Zimbra in a Solaris 10 zone.. This would rule out the need for #1, because Zimbra could own the zone and the server could have other zones for web serving and such.. This is also a more secure model since if my webserver zone gets hacked, the attacker doesn't instantly get access to my email.
    Yes Solaris port has been requested a couple times now. I think at least one person is trying to roll their own. BTW: Are you using x86 or Sparc Solaris? If we only did x86 OpenSolaris would that be enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Yes Solaris port has been requested a couple times now. I think at least one person is trying to roll their own. BTW: Are you using x86 or Sparc Solaris? If we only did x86 OpenSolaris would that be enough for you?
    I think you would have to do both x86 and Sparc. There shouldn't really be any difficulty in porting between the two, but there's a huge installed base of Sparc out there.

And I imagine you may have to support Solaris 9 or even older. There's an awful lot of people out there who don't want to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    I would recommend an x86 and a sparc version.. this would allow people to run your software on commercial grade hardware.. Most big shops that need your product probably already have Sun in house and this could reduce the cost to bring your product in...

- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ptribble
    I think you would have to do both x86 and Sparc. There shouldn't really be any difficulty in porting between the two, but there's a huge installed base of Sparc out there.

And I imagine you may have to support Solaris 9 or even older. There's an awful lot of people out there who don't want to upgrade.
    Sites running Solaris 9 usually do so since a running installation requires a specific release, or shouldn't be endangered by applying major changes to the underlying OS.

These sites certainly won't endanger their running environment by installing new services, so they're into a new system for zimbra anyway. If they're on Solaris 10 on the other hand, they could just add a zone for zimbra without endangering their running installation.

OpenSolaris has a lot of things to offer that would make it a priority choice for a service like zimbra:
    • The service management facility (smf), a cluster-like failover monitor and restart mechanism.
    • zones, a software container that allows for easy ressource management and security by keeping the application isolated in its own environment.

I agree that binaries for both X86 and Sparc would be needed, but that should be just a matter of recompiling. Since Solaris is pretty solid in its Library interfaces, software compiled for earlier versions of the OS usually runs without problems on newer releases, so for a start, a package for X86 and one for Sparc would probably help most people asking for a Solaris port.

Lightbulb Solaris installation

Lack of time, and poor knowhow regarding Zimbra packaging we have skipped the attempt to build Zimbra for Solaris.

Instead we will wait for OpenSolaris to release it's XEN solution in order to run a virtual debian on a Solaris host. (Solaris dom0, Debian domU)

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending time on an exciting project as Zimbra, it is just that packaging up Zimbra, which requires a lot of effort just to understand Solaris packaging.

If anyone give it a try here, I will be more than willing to test the installation, and do documentations and errata. But that is all I can offer for now.

Best regards, Daniel Mersebak

Seems like it can be done

Zimbra on ZFS and Zones. - Esoteric Curio
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Works great on zfs and zones. How i'm testing it now. I just make changes and tweak if it doesn't work i role back to a previous zfs snapshot. Get invloved in dijichi2's binary project. He's really doing great things and the more people helping the better I'm sure.

I wonder if companies in the community could arrange to pay Zimbra to develop native ports.

Ie we want Solaris Sparc, Zimbra says it'll cost you X.