Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: zmschedulebackup and Alternate Backup Location

We have the /opt/zimbra/store and /opt/zimbra/backup symlinked to a 2.7 TB Xserve RAID configured with RAID5. No problems or complaints to speak of in the past six months of use.
    Jonathan Bare, ACSA
    Mid-Atlantic Computer Solutions, Alexandria, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jbareMACS View Post
    We have the /opt/zimbra/store and /opt/zimbra/backup symlinked to a 2.7 TB Xserve RAID configured with RAID5. No problems or complaints to speak of in the past six months of use.
    curiosity: # of users running off that /store ?

About 35 active users and 110 GB of mailbox storage.
    Jonathan Bare, ACSA
    Mid-Atlantic Computer Solutions, Alexandria, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jbareMACS View Post
    Cool thanks for the info everyone. As long as the symlink works we should be fine. You said you have 35 users and about 110gb of mail..... my company only has less than 60 users and only about 12 gigs of mail so it's really not that much. We are slowly growing, but it's taken about 4 years to get up to that 12 gigs of mail so I think I'm safe.

I have both my mailstore on /raid5 and I have my backup symlinked now to /raid5, I'll post my performance results with that setup when the backup runs again overnight tonight. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by w1nz View Post
    Cool thanks for the info everyone. As long as the symlink works we should be fine. You said you have 35 users and about 110gb of mail..... my company only has less than 60 users and only about 12 gigs of mail so it's really not that much. We are slowly growing, but it's taken about 4 years to get up to that 12 gigs of mail so I think I'm safe.

I have both my mailstore on /raid5 and I have my backup symlinked now to /raid5, I'll post my performance results with that setup when the backup runs again overnight tonight. Thanks again.
    this would mean a lot more if you had the exact same setup backing up to a non-RAID5 partition to show the performance difference ... either way I'm sure everything will be fine. I've been through multiple tests of the same types of things when setting up current SAN's and threw more complications into it doing vertical stripping through multiple levels of RAID and having logical storage (and managed disk groups) behind SVC's (SAN Volume Controllers).

I dont think anyone would debate that it's not possible or negligibly noticable regarding performace, but for sheer I/O and write cost overhead, typically RAID 5 (by it's nature) is not the best choice for writes.

That being said there is a LOT more to consider when choosing a storage or parition creation methodology (all of which have nothing to do wit this thread). As previously mentioned, for some the performace is non-intrusive so it doesn't matter.

YMMV

Regards,
    Lonny

Well my OS and the zimbra core files are loaded up on a Raid 1+0 consisting of 2 15,000 RPM 36GB HDD's. The Raid5 array where I have the mailstore and the backups located on consists of 15,000 RPM 72GB HDD's. I'm trying to get approval to purchase another server so I can create a test lab for myself and try out some other raid types. Currently most of my raid experience is raid5 so I usually stick to that when I can because it's easy to setup.

Quote Originally Posted by w1nz View Post
    Well my OS and the zimbra core files are loaded up on a Raid 1+0 consisting of 2 15,000 RPM 36GB HDD's. The Raid5 array where I have the mailstore and the backups located on consists of 15,000 RPM 72GB HDD's. I'm trying to get approval to purchase another server so I can create a test lab for myself and try out some other raid types. Currently most of my raid experience is raid5 so I usually stick to that when I can because it's easy to setup.
    Easy to set up and has is typicallly rock solid when it comes to an admin's ancient adversary ... hardware failures (depending on what hardware fails) ... seriously the larger solutions are great and work incredibly well but justifying the $$ sometimes, even with a good argument isn't always easy