Thread: [SOLVED] Restoring zimbra backups...

Default [SOLVED] Restoring zimbra backups...

Hi all!

We recently had a small incident on our Zimbra server :-), the backup disk for Zimbra backups has died, but no worries - all was backed up to another server too...

After we swapped the hdds, i rsynced /opt/zimbra/backup from our backup server.. All looked good in the admin console, backups were listed as completed until tonight, when a new incremental backup was to be made - it failed with this message:

Error occurred: Found gap in redo log sequence; missing 71 through 72; To avoid future restore problems, discard all existing backups and take a full backup of all accounts; If this error occurred during restore, try the --ignoreRedoErrors option
    I looked into the manual and realized, that i didn't swap the redo logs from the backup server - but since they are not located in /opt/zimbra/backup the redo log kept changing.

I can also restore the redo log from the backup, but i'm not quite sure what swaping the redo logs will effect.

How would you go about solving this? I'd wipe all the backups only as a last resort...

Thanks for the answers...

EDIT: Forgot to add... Using Zimbra NE 6.0.7

Regards,
    D.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Please put your version information in your forum profile so we don't have to keep asking 'which version'. Run the following command and update your profile with the output:

Code:
    zmcontrol -v
    What's wrong with following the instructions in the error message? I'd suggest you take a full backup first then move all the old backups to a secure location, when you've done that run a full backup again and just let the normal backup schedule run at it's designated time. When you're happy that everything is OK after a period of time (a couple of months perhaps?) then get rid of the old backups. Obviously that should take into account any corporate policy you have on retaining backup data.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi!

Ok, looks like i found what went wrong there... When i was syncing Zimbra backup from the main backup location i forgot to disable future Zimbra backups and because the sync was not yet done when a new backup started things got messy...

I removed all Zimbra backups, disabled future one and started the sync again. After the sync was done, i've created a full backup which completed without errors.

Thanks for listening tho :-).

Regards,
    D.

PS: Updated my profile, should have the Zimbra info needed in there...