Thread: quota functionality and deferred queue

Default quota functionality and deferred queue

I am going to bring this up as new, since my searches have not turned up anything as to what I am seeing.

I'm new to Zimbra - and am just testing out everything before I roll it out in live production use.

the issue:

Zimbra 6.0.7

one new user has a 25mb quota on his account.
    his account is currently at 14mb (~50%).
    the quota warning is set at 90%.

When I send an email to this user that is greater than 11mb, the message goes into "deferred queue" - because it would put him over quota. But he is NOT currently over quota.

When I send an email that is much smaller - that email will go to the user.

The user is NOT notified of a quota issue, because he is NOT currently over quota. The user does not know there is deferred mail. So the user does not know they need to clean out anything or that there is anything wrong.

(I'm sure the MB quota settings do not matter what number 25mb or 2gb, it's just a test of the logic of the quota function)

Based on the things I have discovered in searching for a solution (on the internet), I'm guessing one way is to have a scheduled task (cronjob) run, to check for each accounts' deferred messages and send an email or popup to the user (and admin too?) ?

(is this a request for feature, or bug report ?)

any ideas? am I missing something?

Default zimlet showing deferred

how hard would it be to have a display in the web client show a user's deferred messages?
    (number of messages, or the actual sender address)

Sounds right to me, the quota would be enforced to prevent a user from using more disk than the quota, so the example 11mb message would not and should not be delivered to the user.

A bounce message would be sent to the sender though, and in real usage they'd likely resend their message without the attachment informing the recipient of the problem, that's one way to notify the user.

Having the system send a message saying that it didnt deliver an email because it would cause an over quota condition seems like it could cause a loop, so that's a bad idea!

Having a counter in the web client is a possibility; you could code it in or request an enhancement, the only problem I forsee is that you may need email admin rights to be able to read that value in the first place.

It all sounds reasonable to me, but with more reasonable quota levels the problem goes away because you'd hit the maximum attachment size limit before being able to bust someone's quota.

the low sized quota was just a way for me to test out the functionality of the quota. in a live system, I would have much larger quota (probably 1gb)

and while I realize the logic is correct, and the originator of the message would get a bounce - but only after the set delay time.

and, in our environment, and the nature of our business (receiving critical files), we need to know if someone is trying to send us something but it's not making it. and we need to know asap.

I wonder is there a way to redirect deferred mail / over quota mail ? automatically?

I've not tested it recently but I though a bounce message for over-quota was sent right away. Also, if it's of critical importance to be able to recieve files then why not remove the quote restriction from the selected accounts?

Anyway, none of that helps the original questions, your last comment is interesting, redirection on over-quota or some other notification. This should be possible, it sounds reasonable. It suspect something could be done at the postfix layer, if I find anything solid I'll let you know.

Thought so, over-quota bounce messages are sent right away, but only if you turn it on http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...ta-bounce.html

That'd notify the sender of the problem, but not the recipient, or an admin. Still, it's a start