Thread: Sync 2 zimbra servers

Default Sync 2 zimbra servers

Hi all,

I have 2 Zimbra servers. One is production and one is at our DR site. I would like to sync the 2 servers at least nightly so that in the case of a DR event I would have all the users data over at the DR site.

Currently I do the mail nightly using IMAP sync but that has proven to be very time consuming and nothing more then mail is synced, no cal, tasks or anything else is synced.

I was wondering if some of the tools in the new Zimbra Desktop could be adapted to do this job? If I could do this with an open source tool, then grate, but if there is a commercial tool that does the job well that would be fine too.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Rich

I would suggest to sync the whole /opt/zimbra directory using rsync.
    For this to be totally secure, you should stop the source zimbra in the meantime, or at least run rsync first with zimbra running, and then a second shot with stopped services, which will complete in less than five minutes.
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

Thanks for that suggestion. I thought about the rsync thing but was concerned that because the systems are not 100% identical, different IP bound to different services that might be a concern when configs are rsynced.

Just for clarity, this is 6.0.8 NE install. It would be nice if this feature was available to users even as a payed option, I would pay extra for it but would not complain if it was a mail line feature.

Thanks!

Rich

as long as you sync the whole /opt/zimbra, and only that, even if systems are not identical it won't be a problem.
    that is, even if you have different ips you can run zimbra on the new domain name, given that it can be resolved.

it could be a good suggestion, you can try filing an enhancement request on bugzilla, but I don't believe it will be highly requested
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rhouston View Post
    Thanks for that suggestion. I thought about the rsync thing but was concerned that because the systems are not 100% identical, different IP bound to different services that might be a concern when configs are rsynced.

Just for clarity, this is 6.0.8 NE install. It would be nice if this feature was available to users even as a payed option, I would pay extra for it but would not complain if it was a mail line feature.
    I'd suggest you review the following two articles in the wiki (then test your DR so you know if it works):

Network Edition Disaster Recovery - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Ajcody-Disaster-Recovery-Specific-Notes - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.