Thread: Apache proxy and briefcase/soap

Default Apache proxy and briefcase/soap

Good afternoon,

I use ZCS now for quite a while and i am happy with it. But i hit a snag today i cannot seem to fix.

I have set u Zimbra, and followed Provide HTTP(s) Integration with Apache - Zimbra :: Wiki to put apache in front of it and do the SSL part and proxy.
    But now i have firewalled the server except for port 80/443 and the mail ports, i cannot download files from the briefcase anymore and Zindus (which uses the SOAP) cant sync.

Looking at the briefcase url and the Zindus log they both seem to point at port 60081. Which is the internal port i use.

Is there anyway to tell Zimbra that its public port is 80 or even better 443?

Thanks in advance!

The article in the wiki is missing one part: you have to setup three variables (per domain) to tell ZCS which protocol/port/servername is used to access it.

Setting these variables is mandatory to get the things that are not working in your case (briefcase, docs, SOAP) to work: for these features, ZCS "builds" itself the URLs (absolute URLs) and relies on the variables to build them.

If your ZCS is set on port 81 and http only while you connect to it on 443 through https on the reverse-proxy and did not set the variables, ZCS will build URLs using http on port 81... While your apps (Zindus, ZWC for briefcase/wiki) need to receive URLs using https on port 443.

You have to set:
    ZimbraPublicServiceHostname (the name of the reverse proxy)
    ZimbraPublicServicePort (the port on the reverse proxy)
    ZimbraPublicServiceProtocol (the protocol on the reverse proxy)

Do a search on the forum about these variables, you'll get additional info.

And if you have a couple minutes left, add this step to the wiki page 8)

Thanks Klug,

I think i have seen those variables somewhere in a other wiki article.
    But do i really have to set this per domain? Or is there a way to automatically set them for each new domain?

I will try if these variables will make all the difference, if it does i will work on my wiki skills ;-)

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Marcuzz View Post
    I think i have seen those variables somewhere in a other wiki article.
    But do i really have to set this per domain? Or is there a way to automatically set them for each new domain?
    The Public Service Hostname is also a global variable (set in the Admin UI) and the others are per-domain, see comment #4 in this bug report: Bug 29978 – remove requirement that zimbraPublicServiceHostname have a corresponding zimbraServer object
    Last edited by phoenix; 11-14-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Bill, AFAIK ZimbraPublicServiceHostname is per domain too.

Without setting it per domain, it means you'd have only one single URL to access all domains on a server/infrastructure, while you can have one URL per domain.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    Bill, AFAIK ZimbraPublicServiceHostname is per domain too.
    I wasn't disagreeing with you, my post above should have read 'is also a global' - I didn't mean to imply it was just a global setting.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Unfortunately the problem is not really the ZimbraPublicServiceHostname but the ZimbraPublicServicePort and ZimbraPublicServiceProtocol, is there a way to set those global to? or as a COS value? With this i do not mean to change the port on which the server is running but only the public port.
    It would be a hell of a job to change it for all domains.