Thread: Timestamps

Default Timestamps

When using the Zimbra Web client, does the timestamp in my "Received" column represent the time when my mail server received the email, or does it represent the sending mail server's time?

I know the timestamp in the opened email (Including the date) represents the sender's client time (Outlook in this case).

Can someone please shed some light on the matter.

Apologies for the n00b question.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Koffie View Post
    When using the Zimbra Web client, does the timestamp in my "Received" column represent the time when my mail server received the email, or does it represent the sending mail server's time
    It represents the time of the Timezone you're in, you need to look at the headers for the exact time received at the server (or the log files).

[NOTE]I've edited that answer from the one you've received via the forums - sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by phoenix; 07-04-2012 at 01:18 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks Phoenix!

So the header shows the exact time when received, and obviously the header is generated by the sending server, thus it represents that servers time?

I take it my mail server's log then shows the time it received the email.

In other words if the sender's server has the wrong time, that incorrect time will be displayed on my web client? (And the "received" time merely shows when it received the mail according to my timezone)

So broken down, when I open the email it shows the sender's client time. In my received column it shows the time it was received according to my timezone. In the email's header it shows the time the sender's server sent it. In my log it shows when my mail server actually received it.

Is that correct?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Koffie View Post
    Thanks Phoenix!

So the header shows the exact time when received, and obviously the header is generated by the sending server, thus it represents that servers time?

I take it my mail server's log then shows the time it received the email.

In other words if the sender's server has the wrong time, that incorrect time will be displayed on my web client? (And the "received" time merely shows when it received the mail according to my timezone)

So broken down, when I open the email it shows the sender's client time. In my received column it shows the time it was received according to my timezone. In the email's header it shows the time the sender's server sent it. In my log it shows when my mail server actually received it.

Is that correct?
    Effectively what you see is the time (they will all appear as 'received by') it is received from the mail client at the first mail server then the time it is received at each server that it passes through. That information is all in the headers of the email (it should list the time plus the local timezone when it was received) and they go in order from the bottom to the top of the list you'll see when you do a Show Original, the time you see in the received Web UI is your local timezone. Iif you're interested, there are lots of sites that cover how to check email headers - here's a few of them:

Email Headers - How To Understand & Read Email Headers
    Tracking the source of email spam
    Analyzing e-mail headers and tracking e-mail
    How to Trace a Spammer's Web Site
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks Phoenix!

That's everything I need.

Hi, donīt know if Iīm right here. but I have the Problem that all my mails (which I receive with fetchmail into my local zimbra server) show me the time in the zimbra interface from my local zimbra server, when they arrive into it, and not the time from my isp (so the original time).
    I have checked my Message header, and ther I can see that the original time is still there, but the zimbra webinterface and zimbra desktop client shows me both the time time from my zimbra server.

When I connect Thunderbird over IMAP or POP3 to my zimbra Server, Thunderbird shows me the original time.

Is this a bug or do I have to modify something in the interface or the zimbra desktop client?

Can someone confirm the intended functionality on this timestamp.

What occurs for me is that the timestamp displayed in the Received column on webmail or ZD (7.1.4) shows the time that the sender sent the message (reflected in my timezone). Not the received time. Selecting "Show Original" from the context menu will, of course, show the senders time and the received time(s) in the header - most importantly from the last (most recent) server. It seems to me that is the "received'" time that should be displayed, and not the senders time.

I can recreate this by back dating the server clock on a different mail server and sending a message to my ZCS FOSS 7.2.0. The client display will show that the message came in hours or even days earlier as if I missed the message some how, but actually it was just received by the server.

Digging around in the database, I confirm this by finding the mail_item record in one of the mboxgroupX databases.

The `date` field and the `change_date` field show the discrepancy to which I am referring.

This query may help.
    Code:
    SELECT m.comment,mb.id,mb.date,from_unixtime(mb.date),from_unixtime(mb.change_date),
    if (mb.change_date>mb.date,cast(timediff(from_unixtime(mb.change_date),from_unixtime(mb.date)) as CHAR),'') diff,
    mb.sender
    FROM zimbra.mailbox m
      left join mboxgroup8.mail_item mb ON m.group_id = mb.mailbox_id
    order by id desc limit 100;
    A discrepancy of a "few" minutes is understandable in the case of an external mail account, but should be no more than the frequency at which Zimbra pulls the mail. In my case every 2 minutes.

Todd

This is becoming a real issue for us. We have government contracts that require a specific turnaround time for responses. Folks are coming back from lunch and finding messages that were sent at 9:30 AM showing up as if they missed them that morning. Review of the "Show Original" headers proves that the final server did not receive the message until 4 hours later. But as we all know it is difficult to understand and irrelevant to most "users". The Web UI and ZD show the senders timestamp.

Please help.