Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra 6, authentication mode

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra 6, authentication mode

Can you in Zimbra 6 set authentication mode per user basis not just for whole domain ?

What I want is that I can set external AD authentication mode for some users and internal authentication mode for others.

Best regards, Primoz.

You can't have the authentication set up in a per-user basis, BUT you can set up external authentication and have it fallback to local if the first one fails... this way users not authenticated in MSAD would try with ZCS' internal LDAP.

Be careful, though, don't set up an easy password for your MSAD users. If their AD password fails they could use this other one to get into Zimbra.

Also, you could set up different COS for these two types of users just so your MSAD users won't be able to change the Zimbra password. Covers up that little security issue nicely.

anyway, the command you'll need for this is:

zmprov modifyDomain [yourdomain] zimbraAuthFallBackToLocal TRUE

Be careful, though, don't set up an easy password for your MSAD users. If their AD password fails they could use this other one to get into Zimbra.

Also, you could set up different COS for these two types of users just so your MSAD users won't be able to change the Zimbra password. Covers up that little security issue nicely.
    Can you please explan this a little bit more, with some example if possible ?

Thank you very much.

Ok. Let's say that when you created all your users' accounts in Zimbra you gave them a dummy password "zimbra" (how original ) knowing/thinking that they will never use it since all your authentication would be done through MSAD.

But now you've set up your domain's authentication to fall back to local (i.e your ZCS' internal directory). Any user that inputs "zimbra" as the password will fail when authenticating against MSAD but, with the fallback, will be granted access into ZCS (or rather ZWC).

Add onto that the hability to change the ZCS password and they can set it to whatever they wish and keep a "backdoor" open into their account. Possibly even if their MSAD account is disabled.

So, my advice, have a COS for users who authenticate against MSAD not allowing them to change the password, and keep the ZCS password rather complex. And another COS for users who authenticate internally (fallback) if you want/need/allow them to change their ZCS password.

Thank you very much.