Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra 5.0.13_GA_RHEL5.200902.....

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra 5.0.13_GA_RHEL5.200902.....

Greetings,
    I am trying to help out a friend who had gotten a dedicated server from GoDaddy 2 yrs ago. All was well until a week ago. Now I am trying to figure out how to get Zimbra working again. Somehow in setting up a new certificate and the old one expiring the server went whack. Nothing worked any more. Worse yet it was set up via command line by a person who is no longewr with us. So, he is not available unless I find a good medium. We have no idea how he may have mod this install either.
    Now, oddly enough, Godaddy reps told me that postfix and zimbra will conflict. Yet I see Zimbra uses postfix? Next the reps had me change the way the server is set up... why? I have no idea why... they claimed different things. Be that as it may I can not shut down postfix or get zimbra working. To start Zimbra I was also told port 80 had to be open or unused by Apache? I am getting a lot of confused info I think, perhaps not. I am also thinking about reinstalling Zimbra if that will help me fastest. Any links or directions that I can read or follow to start the troubleshooting of this system? The server is running Fedora Core 6. Am I better off using the newer Zimbra package? I rather just fix this for now as we are going to drop godaddy soon. Thanks for any pointers that can get me going in the right direction. I have a lot to learn so need some basics also. I do not know where to start...
    So, I am open to opinions, etc. By the way I do not know if it matters? SSL has expired. I am not clear if this will effect Zimbra or not?
    Last edited by Smacka-Yak; 11-17-2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: extra info

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Smacka-Yak View Post
    By the way I do not know if it matters? SSL has expired. I am not clear if this will effect Zimbra or not?
    The certificates need to be regenerated for Zimbra to work, expired certificates will stop Zimbra from working correctly. Details for regenerating the Certificates are in the wiki: Search results for "certificate" - Zimbra :: Wiki

You should stop the postfix & apache servers on your current host and disable them from starting at boot. Wehn you've done that and regenerated the certificates you should restart Zimbra and if there's any problems look in the log files for the cause.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thank you! I do not know why the owner of the site doesn't know this? Oh well... I appreciate the notice.

Thank you!

Glad you've fixed it, you might also want to suggest that Zimbra be upgraded to the most recent 6.0.x release.
    Regards

Bill

Hi it is not working at all, godaddy is not helping and in fact making it worse. I put resolved as the question is answered. I do not know what steps to take as godaddy is in the way of getting the certificate resolved. I would appreciate any resource that will help me get a better idea on how Zimbra works, etc. as godaddy claims it conflicts with postfix? I have my doubts there.

Quote Originally Posted by Smacka-Yak View Post
    Hi it is not working at all, godaddy is not helping and in fact making it worse. I put resolved as the question is answered. I do not know what steps to take as godaddy is in the way of getting the certificate resolved. I would appreciate any resource that will help me get a better idea on how Zimbra works, etc. as godaddy claims it conflicts with postfix? I have my doubts there.
    Sorry, I thought you'd fixed the problem. So this is a hosted server I guess? There are usually problems with that type of install. Zimbra is a complete package which has a web service and an MTA (Postfix) to but two of it's components. You cannot run a web server or another MTA (postfix or any other MTA) on the same server as Zimbra.

Why do godaddy say that Postfix must be installed? Does this server have any sort of control panel for managing the server? Which operating system is used on this server?
    Regards

Bill