Thread: Zimbra OSS and Network: Can co-exist?

Default Zimbra OSS and Network: Can co-exist?

Hi

I'm planning an installation for 25k users. 100 or 200 of them need Zimbra Network Edition, the rest could use almost any webmail...
    Can I mix the two version on the same domain, eg a mailbox server running network ed. and the others oss?
    That seem to me that the mta is almost full open source...
    If not, is there someone that experienced a similar solution with smtp or lmtp routing per domain o per COS?

Greetings

Don't forget there's not just the Outlook Connector being a difference between OpenSource and Network Edition.
    The OpenSource Edition is missing features like backup/restore for example.

I guess you can mix both editions (each on a different server : you can not put the two on the same server) using a split domain setup.

See here for such setup : http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1609

Quote Originally Posted by Klug
    Don't forget there's not just the Outlook Connector being a difference between OpenSource and Network Edition.
    The OpenSource Edition is missing features like backup/restore for example.

I guess you can mix both editions (each on a different server : you can not put the two on the same server) using a split domain setup.

See here for such setup : http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1609

Thank you for your answare! The link is coherent and very useful. But I was thinking at a completely distributed setup with separated zimbra mta + mailbox + ldap.
    Actually I do not know how the license work with zimbra network edition, so I do not know if I could mix a setup like this:

3 * server zimbra mta open source
    5 * server zimbra mailbox open source
    1 * server zimbra mailbox network professional edition
    2 * server zimbra ldap

I would like to share at least the mta part between the 2 edition, better if also the ldap server could be the same (users would really be authenticated by active directory...)
    I'd like to share the same admin interface between all the server, using the the mailbox network professional edition as the default mailbox server for a special COS named superusers.

Otherwise I think I've to setup the network edition on a single server with ldap + mailbox + mta (like in the post you linked) but it would be a completely separated setup from other servers and some people would say to use <auto-censored> instead of zimbra...

Ciao

You can not share the admin interface (and I'm quite sure you can not share the LDAP server either).

What are the exact need for the "low level" (no offence) users ?
    Do they need calendaring ?

If the answer is no, you should contact your sales guy and ask him about the "Email Edition" and possible mixing of "Pro Edition" and "Email Edition".
    It's not free but it's not that expensive (and you'll get all the admin/backend features of the Network Edition).

Quote Originally Posted by Klug
    You can not share the admin interface (and I'm quite sure you can not share the LDAP server either).

What are the exact need for the "low level" (no offence) users ?
    Do they need calendaring ?

If the answer is no, you should contact your sales guy and ask him about the "Email Edition" and possible mixing of "Pro Edition" and "Email Edition".
    It's not free but it's not that expensive (and you'll get all the admin/backend features of the Network Edition).
    This is a news!
    I work for a University in Italy, the most part of users would be students so
    I'm writing to my sales contact now!
    Thank you very much Klug!

Ciao