Thread: pop before smtp

Hybrid View

Default pop before smtp

We currently run pop-before-smtp for our remote users and would like to keep this setup while we convice users to go with SMTP AUTH or similar.

I can make the neccessary changes to postfix but need access to a log containing info for pop connections so as to build the popauth.db.

Has anyone set this up under Zimbra?

We don't have this by default, and looking at our POP code don't seem to have the logging needed to add this. We'll put in an enhancement to add this logging.

I need this support as well. Have we made any headways on this since it was last mentioned ? Can you please put in enough logging so I could implement this for the IMAP side as well ? It would be greatly appreciated! We have some PDA phones and what not with imap clients that have extremely dumb SMTP configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by metacove
    I need this support as well. Have we made any headways on this since it was last mentioned ? Can you please put in enough logging so I could implement this for the IMAP side as well ? It would be greatly appreciated! We have some PDA phones and what not with imap clients that have extremely dumb SMTP configurations.
    Your best bet would be to file these in bugzilla. For the record we don't believe in pop-before-smtp or imap-before-smtp. In general it's a broken requirement, and smtp auth is a much more scalable and secure solution. What PDA phones are you working with? All the modern phone I've seen support smtp auth although I have seen problems if your using a self-signed cert for your SSL. Other than that we've been successful getting clients configured without the need to force the pop-before or imap-before.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Its a verizon branded audiovox. Something like model 6600 comes to mind. The particular phone does in fact allow SMTP authentication but on further review appears to be sending mangled base64 encoded strings. So it is supported but isn't funcitonal.

I won't at all argue that SMTP authentication is not the better route to go, but in some circumstances it isn't an option. I don't need you guys to implement pop before SMTP all I need is a line in a log file that says:

[datestamp] - IMAP - username connected (authentication successful)

Or something to that extent. As it stands now I can't find a log line that shows successfull auth attempt. I dug through the /opt/zimbra/log as well as the data with logger for mysql.

You'd get this type of log entry with debug on but not sure it will come with INFO logging.

If you can trap the traffic from the SMTP Auth of that phone maybe there is something we can do. Would like to see it in any event.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.