Thread: zmlogger, syslog, rsyslog and stats

Default zmlogger, syslog, rsyslog and stats

Hi,

Perhaps this was discussed before and I couldn't find the thread in the forum. After migrating/upgraded from 32bit OE 5.0.16 (yes if it's not broke..) -> 64bit 6.0.9 on a different server, I notice the logging stats were not working. Zimbra was collecting them in /var/log/zimbra-stats.log but for some strange reason the stats were not updating in the Admin Console.

After poking around, I notice logger database was not updating and zmlogger (via zmlogswatch.out) was producing a lot of uninitialized value at line 564

Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogger line 564, <> line 1551.
    Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogger line 564, <> line 1551.

Looking at the code, zmlogger is trying to match fields from zimbra-stats.log. What I found interesting was on my setup rsyslogd logged a slightly different way that what zmlogger is expecting. Hence the errors.

So instead of changing rsyslogd's format, I decided to see if zmlogger is expecting a syslog standard format.

I setup syslog on the server (fairly quick process). Executed the zmsetupsyslog script and restarted zimbra. As I expected, the errors went away, updates started happening in zmlogger's database (logger/db/data) and Admin console shows the correct status.

I hope this helps others who are in a similar situation as I was.

-Charles
    zimbra 6.0.9, CentOS 5.5 x6.4

Quote Originally Posted by loopietky View Post
    I setup syslog on the server (fairly quick process). Executed the zmsetupsyslog script and restarted zimbra. As I expected, the errors went away, updates started happening in zmlogger's database (logger/db/data) and Admin console shows the correct status.
    -Charles
    zimbra 6.0.9, CentOS 5.5 x6.4
    Hi Charles,

Its a good one... but you don't need to restart the zimbra, you have restart only the zmstatctl service to make it work again.

Hello. This seems similar to our problem, and I'd like to ask you for some help.
    We're using ZCS latest version 7.2.0 on Centos 5 and it worked fine. In order to setup central logging, a colleague installed rsyslog on Centos server. Now, Zimbra stats nor server status are not working.
    What's a solution? To change something or to install syslogd back? But, Zimbra surely works with rsyslog. How does it detect it? Should reinstallation with the same version help?