Thread: Zimbra as an IMAP client with remote mail server

Question Zimbra as an IMAP client with remote mail server

Bonjour,

Here is what I am trying to setup with ZCS : I would like Zimbra web UI (installed on zimbra.example.com server) to access external mailboxes located on remote Postfix server(s) (let's call it remote.example.com).

To test the solution, I have created a user and I attached him an external account. All is right : the external account has it's own folder, it can get e-mail from IMAP mailbox on remote.example.com and it can send e-mail via that server (added zimbra.example.com IP in remote Postfix "mynetworks").

The problem : it seems that Zimbra external account can only "read" the distant IMAP mailbox. When I save a draft of send an e-mail, it is never written into the IMAP server, only as Zimbra local data.

So, please, is it possible for Zimbra to act as a standard client with remote IMAP mailboxes ? Like Thunderbird for example.
    I saw that post giving a negative answer : "Is that possible to use Zimbras only as an IMAP client of an external MTA?"
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...ernal-mta.html

But what I do not understand is why Zimbra seems to be able only to check IMAP with my setup. Is it a real limitation of the product ?

Thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelL View Post
    Here is what I am trying to setup with ZCS : I would like Zimbra web UI (installed on zimbra.example.com server) to access external mailboxes located on remote Postfix server(s) (let's call it remote.example.com).
    Why?

To test the solution, I have created a user and I attached him an external account. All is right : the external account has it's own folder, it can get e-mail from IMAP mailbox on remote.example.com and it can send e-mail via that server (added zimbra.example.com IP in remote Postfix "mynetworks").
    That's correct.

The problem : it seems that Zimbra external account can only "read" the distant IMAP mailbox. When I save a draft of send an e-mail, it is never written into the IMAP server, only as Zimbra local data.
    That's also correct, that's what it is supposed to do.

So, please, is it possible for Zimbra to act as a standard client with remote IMAP mailboxes ? Like Thunderbird for example.
    Zimbra is not a mail client, it's a complete Collaboration Suite with it's own MTA. The ability to fetch external mail is provide an 'aggregation' of the email on your Zimbra server.

I saw that post giving a negative answer : "Is that possible to use Zimbras only as an IMAP client of an external MTA?"
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...ernal-mta.html
    That thread isn't the same question that you've asked here unless I'm misunderstanding what you've asked. If your first statement in this post means 'can I use the Web UI on another mail server' then the answer is no, you can't.

But what I do not understand is why Zimbra seems to be able only to check IMAP with my setup. Is it a real limitation of the product ?
    No, that's not a limitation it's meant to replace current mail servers.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Why?
    I would like to use Zimbra as a centralized application to get and to answer to emails coming from different remote servers.
    It could receive emails from distant IMAP mailboxes (that works) and send using those same mailboxes (doesn't work here) : when I send a message from ZCS, I want it to be available into the IMAP mailbox that is located on another server, with another MTA.

But your reply seems to confirm that this is not possible.
    Thank you Phoenix.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I would like to use Zimbra as a centralized application to get and to answer to emails coming from different remote servers.
    You can certainly do that by using a 'Persona' if you want people to reply to your IMAP account.

It could receive emails from distant IMAP mailboxes (that works) and send using those same mailboxes (doesn't work here) : when I send a message from ZCS, I want it to be available into the IMAP mailbox that is located on another server, with another MTA.
    There is an RFE in bugzilla to allow the use of the remote SMTP server for sending the email.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.