Thread: Issue after changed server hostname

Default Issue after changed server hostname

My server was working great until I decide to change server hostname zimbra.help.co.uk to email domain name help.co.uk. Now I have 3 issues:

1) I am unable to edit no user account in the Admin UI nor am I able to view the emails.

2) I am still seeing the old server only in the server status

3)I have an error message in the zimbra.log file stating:
    Nov 28 05:09:14 help postfix/lmtp[533]: 7427D1896278: to=<user@help.co.uk>, relay=none, delay=1.2, delays=1.2/0/0/0, dsn=5.4.4, status=bounced (unable to look up host zimbra.help.co.uk: Name or service not known)

I have a print screen of 2 Admin UI issues mentioned above attached on this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by borngunners; 11-29-2010 at 12:21 PM.

You don't say how it was exactly that you changed the Zimbra server's name.

Since Zimbra codes the server name into every mailbox as well as in the Zimbra server's own configs, changing the server's name is best done using the Zimbra-supplied utility: ZmSetServerName - Zimbra :: Wiki

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    You don't say how it was exactly that you changed the Zimbra server's name.

Since Zimbra codes the server name into every mailbox as well as in the Zimbra server's own configs, changing the server's name is best done using the Zimbra-supplied utility: ZmSetServerName - Zimbra :: Wiki

Hope that helps,
    Mark
    Thanks for your reply Mark.
    I did follow the wiki to change server name. However, after changing the name I deleted the old server name from WebUI as an admin thinking once the name is being changed, there is no point to keep the old name in the server.
    I will explain a little bit of my environment and then, you can step in to advice what I should do.

our DNS is being managed by our main OIT umd.edumy email domain is helth.umd.edu (example@help.co.uk).
    Initially, like a year ago that domain was seating on its own server before I migrated all the users to zimbra.help.co.uk. During the migration process, I setup zimbra.health.umd.edu as the primary email server and health.umd.edu as the secondary email server until I finish migrating all users account to the zimbra.health.umd.edu box.

In the zimbra.help.co.uk box there is the help.co.uk domain because I want to keep the same domain name for my users.

What I want to accomplish now is to change the servername of zimbra.help.co.uk to help.co.uk, so that incoming smtp can be the same as my email domain name, which is help.co.uk.

I tried changing the name, but ran into series of issues and had to revert everything back to its last known good configuration....

P/S
    After reverting it back to how it was before, I am still seeing the help.co.uk server in the server status. How do I get reed of it from the server status and the server list....

It may be that I have only had two cups of coffee today, but I am having problems following your exact setup.

What I am taking away is that you have two temporary servers setup until you finish configuring your Zimbra server.

So let me ask two questions please:

When all is said and done, is the plan to retire the two temporary servers leaving only the Zimbra server?

For which email domains do you want the Zimbra server to accept mail in its final configuration?

All the best,
    Mark