Thread: zip with backups, performance hits?

Default zip with backups, performance hits?

Running 5.0.23_GA_3242.RHEL5_64_20100326184313 RHEL5_64 NETWORK edition

Hello, my backup directory is getting filled... I do not have a lot of drive space I can add to this directory, so in the interim before I get more disk space, I am thinking of adding the -zip option to the zmbackup cron job.

I have read a few articles on it, but none that seem to answer the following three questions:

Does your server take a significant performance hit for this operation? Does it vastly increase backup time?

The most important question I have is this: Do I have to change anything else, or will the system be ok with it (for example, I go to restore someones mail... do I need to go unzip that blob by hand, or will Zimbra automagically do it?).

Thanks in advance.

coincidentally, i'm looking for an answer to the same question, but on zcs 6.0.8, rather than 5.x.

When we went from ZCS 5 to ZCS 6, the default was changed from --noZip to --zipStore. Note that --zipStore is zipping without compression, so --zip will be even slower. But I don't have any data for --zip.

I posted my experience with --zipStore (default for ZCS 6) and --noZip at http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...tml#post178321

In short if you keep more than one full backup on disk at a time, --noZip is much faster. I can't answer the other questions but I doubt you need to do anything manually in order to restore from a zipped/compressed backup.