Thread: 2 mailboxes empty after power loss...?

Default 2 mailboxes empty after power loss...?

Hi everyone,

I have a Dual Opteron 275 zimbra server (Ubuntu 10.04) with 4G of ram and Zimbra 6.0.8_GA_2661.UBUNTU10_64.

I recently had a power loss and I didn't get to shut down the machine before the UPS ran out of battery. When it rebooted, the OS started but none of the zimbra servicees did.

I then ssh'ed in and did "sudo su - zimbra" and issued a "zmcontrol start". Everything seemed to start (web gui shows everything as started and so did the output of "zmcontrol start").

I only have about 10 mailboxes on there and 2 of them are completely empty (I checked them after logging into the admin console, right clicking the account and viewing mailbox).

This has only been setup 2 weeks or so and I haven't setup backups yet. Any suggestions on how to find out if any of the mail in these boxes is recoverable?

If I need to read something just point me in the right direction & I'll do all the reading. I'm posting this frantically after getting the server started just an hour ago....

I'm fairly proficient at Linux, but new to zimbra.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I'd suggest you first try a reindex of the mailbox and see if that helps. If that's no good then you can find the mailboxid and see exactly where the email is located:

Account mailbox database structure - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Ajcody-Mysql-Topics - Zimbra :: Wiki

If you find the messages then zmlmtpinject (search the forums for that word) will inject the email back into the server, I believe there's also a script somewhere on the forums that will do it correctly (with correct dates).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for the quick informative reply!

I have found the messages & they are there, but not showing up in the GUI.

Do I really need to re-inject if it's already in the directory but just not showing up in the zimbra gui ?

Thanks,

Robert

Edit: I tried "zmprov rim user@domain.net start" and it according to the log this completes, but the messages still don't show up in the gui....
    The logs look like:

2010-12-02 10:08:50,258 INFO [ReIndex-1] [name=user@domain.net;mid=6;] mailbox - IndexDeferredItems(0, 0): Deferred count out of sync - found=68 in progress=0 (deferred count=100000)
    2010-12-02 10:08:51,806 INFO [ReIndex-1] [name=user@domain.net;mid=6;] mailbox - Deferred Indexing: submitted 68 items in 1549ms (43.90/sec). (0 items failed to index). IndexDeferredCount now at 68 NumNotSubmitted= 0
    2010-12-02 10:08:51,919 INFO [ReIndex-1] [name=user@domain.net;mid=6;] mailbox - Re-Indexing: Mailbox 6 COMPLETED in 1552ms
    Last edited by Robstarusa; 12-02-2010 at 09:37 AM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Robstarusa View Post
    Do I really need to re-inject if it's already in the directory but just not showing up in the zimbra gui ?
    I believe that would be your best course of action. I'd suggest you shutdown Zimbre (make sure there's no processes left running) then take a backup of the /opt/zimbra directory structure, when you've done that run a full check of your filesystem. If that's all OK then re-inject the email into the system. This is the script I mentioned earlier: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/4017-post7.html
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.