Thread: Pause mail reception?

Default Pause mail reception?

Is there a method to pause mail reception?

I'm transferring a couple domains from one zimbra server to another system.

I'd like to either pause the reception of mail on the existing zimbra system until the MX record updates. Or the other option is setup a smtp transport redirect of all mail to that domain to another smtp server.

theres a lot of methods you could accomplish this, depending on what you need to keep up. you could set the entire domain into maintenance mode, which would also prevent people from logging into the accounts. if your zimbra server is firewalled (it should be!) you could just stop access to port 25. you coudl shut down just the mta process (zmmtactl stop) which would keep the server running but stop any send/receiving from it, but users coudl still login and view mail

The server is hosting other domains, so firewalling or shutting down postfix is not practical.

Looks like maintenance mode still accepts messages and queues them, but the accounts are locked. I actually want the reverse - the MTA refuses messages with a 4XX error and accounts are still accessible. Looks like none of the "Domain Status" options will work for me.

Two other options I've consider: setting up another smtp server as a temporary - qsmtpd would probably do the job. Seeing if "zmprov ma user@domain zimbraMailTransport smtp:secondardyMX:25" or "zmprov md ..." will work with an active user/domain. ie. do these get checked before local delivery options.

I'd suggest using the mailTransport method - yes they do get checked before mail delivery, but keep in mind that per user settings take precedence over the per domain settings.

This is not the ideal method - I'd still like to be able too defer mail, but be able to access the users via imap so I can migrate the mailboxes.

If I change the domain name, then zimbra will start refusing mail for that domain, but will the sending server keep the messages in the queue and defer deliver until later?

If you rename the domain, the messages will bounce and will go back to the sender.

What method are you using to transfer the messages? If you use imapsync, you can just run it again later and it will only transfer the messages that are new since the previous transfer.