Thread: "outlook message store" == Control Panel > Mail > Profiles? Scalix versus Zimbra

Default "outlook message store" == Control Panel > Mail > Profiles? Scalix versus Zimbra

One problem (showstopper) we have with Scalix is that it seems to want to take over the Outlook profile - you need to create a Scalix profile, which I take to mean a "Scalix message store". I bring this up here, because Zimbra's white paper (http://www.zimbra.com/pdf/Zimbra%20M...on%20Suite.pdf)

says that you can still rely on the default Outlook message store - which I take to mean the default Outlook Profile, when you go to Control Panel > Mail > Profiles.

If all I said is correct, then I think this is a huge selling point for Zimbra because it makes it easier to integrate.

... but is my understanding correct?

what feature is it that you need? when you say 'it makes it easier to integrate' what do you really mean? are you saying you have an existing profile with IMAP or POP and you want to add a Zimbra service to it?
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

for Scalix, I had to install their Scalix client for Outlook - which to configure it, you had to go to Control Panel > Mail > Profiles and select "Other" - which is a Scalix "profile".

Problem is, we already have some people with POP accounts that only have a local copy of their email. If we were to use Scalix, we'd have to either:

1) move the current user's POP email to the Scalix server (one way would be to just copy it over to the Scalix folder within Outlook)

2) change the user to our current IMAP server, and move the mail there

So, from what I understand, with Zimbra, there would be no need to mess with the profile (in Control Panel > Mail > Profiles)?

Quote Originally Posted by justanotheruser
    for Scalix, I had to install their Scalix client for Outlook - which to configure it, you had to go to Control Panel > Mail > Profiles and select "Other" - which is a Scalix "profile".

Problem is, we already have some people with POP accounts that only have a local copy of their email. If we were to use Scalix, we'd have to either:

1) move the current user's POP email to the Scalix server (one way would be to just copy it over to the Scalix folder within Outlook)

2) change the user to our current IMAP server, and move the mail there

So, from what I understand, with Zimbra, there would be no need to mess with the profile (in Control Panel > Mail > Profiles)?
    why not just mount the user's old pst file as a 2nd (non zimbra) data store in outlook?

Zimbra also has a PST importer which will allow you to load all the mail, contacts and calendar from a PST into Zimbra. Zimbra does require a profile and to install a connector. The profile and connector are seemless to the end-user and admin. It is self-contained in a .msi file and the profile is created on the fly for you. So a simple how-to would be:

- export/backup all mail, calendar, contacts to a PST
    - use the Zimbra PST importer to load all the date into Zimbra
    - install the Zimbra Connector for Outlook MSI

This will create a new default profile and prompt for a username/password on first use.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Correct. A profile is required but you can see from my steps you don't need to be mess with it, since we manage it for you.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Just to clarify terminology (and triangulate between tech speak and marketing speak), the act of creating a mail profile (Control Panel > Mail > Profiles), that is what is also referred to as a a "message store", right?

When I see "message store" in relation to Zimbra I think of the server that store all your mail.

Just to clarify.... if you are going with the OpenSource version and wish you use Outlook you just have to change your POP server. If you want to see your mail in the webmail client you'll have to follow Kevin's steps without the connector because that is only for Network Edition. Remember if you download all the mail to same profile you will end up with duplicates, I sugguest a new IMAP profile. Now if you are going with the Network Edition, just follow KevinH's steps.

Just to clarify terminology (and triangulate between tech speak and marketing speak), the act of creating a mail profile (Control Panel > Mail > Profiles), that is what is also referred to as a a "message store", right?
    technically a profile contains services. a services contains providers. one type of provider is a message store provider. For example, I can create a profile called 'Sams mail' add an IMAP service and POP service. Each of these services can contain their own message store (a PST file).

here's some detailed technical documentation:
    http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com.../ms527056.aspx
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::