Thread: [SOLVED] Need more info before renaming zimbra server

Default [SOLVED] Need more info before renaming zimbra server

Hi,

I have a Zimbra 6.07 OSS installed on a Cent OS virtual server furbished by a provider. I would like to rename the server in Zimbra conf to zimbra.mycompany.com instead of serverxxx.hostprovider.com (result of Zimbra install process).

I've read the Wiki doc relative to this action (ZmSetServerName).

As the virtual host renaming from OS is forbidden by its provider, I would like to know if I can still rename the server in Zimbra conf.

Some complementary information :
    • The MX record is zimbra.mycompany.com
    • There is a A record for zimbra.mycompany.com

Should I add zimbra.mycompany.com to the etc/hosts file in order to Zimbra operate correctly without renaming the server that hosts my Zimbra install (as I understood from Installing Zimbra 5.0.9 NE on RHEL5/Centos), or is there any other prerequisite I can check to achieve the renaming in Zimbra conf ?

Otherwise, if I use a commercial certificate based on zimbra.mycompany.com, would the users enconters warning messages if the server remains serverxxx.hostprovider.com in Zimbra conf (the users access the server with zimbra.mycompany.com).

Default Certificate Installed

I've installed the certificate without renaming the server.
    • Some user encountered problems with Thunderbird, as this mail client software asked to confirm the server name (even if the server name was configured as zimbra.mycompany.com in client config).
    • Some admin links (View Mailbox, ....) use the server hostname and we only have to add an exception in our browser for the server.

If anyone has some info about my first question (renaming the server without changing the server hostname) its answer is welcomed.