Thread: [SOLVED] Do the ZWC filters intermittently not working.

Default [SOLVED] Do the ZWC filters intermittently not working.

Bah, excuse the poor english in the topic. I changed thoughts half way though composing and didn't proof the subject!

I have a user who has reported curious behavior to me. He has a filter set up in ZWC to push a lot of internal automated email to a folder. He noticed recently that there are times where email that is usually caught by the filter slips through into his inbox.

The was about the time I upgraded to 6.0.9 and it continues in 6.0.10. He didn't recognize the pattern till now so I can't be sure when it started.

I'm curious if the filtering engine turns off during periods of high load to allow zimbra to keep delivering email? I ask because I've been noticing that this server is getting towards capacity and it's load does have spikes. If the filterning engine does not turn off for load, then this is a bug that was probably introduced in 6.0.9.

Any insight is appreciated.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbearer View Post
    I'm curious if the filtering engine turns off during periods of high load to allow zimbra to keep delivering email?
    No, they work all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbearer View Post
    I ask because I've been noticing that this server is getting towards capacity and it's load does have spikes. If the filterning engine does not turn off for load, then this is a bug that was probably introduced in 6.0.9.
    I guess you'd need to investigate this manually by looking at the sieve filter (do a 'zmprov ga' for the account) and compare it to the mail that isn't getting filtered to see if it really does match the requirements to get sent to a folder. You may also want to check if there's any filter prior to the expected one that's applying another rule or it matches something and also stops processing the filters.

BTW, they are not 'web client filters' (although they can be created in the web UI & via the cli) they are filters on the server itself.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks Bill,

I'll have a look. If the user is accurate it's the same email that mostly gets filtered but sometimes doesn't. I'll have to doublecheck the validity of that statement. But knowing that filtering should work all the time is what I needed to know before I really started digging into this.

Just to update this.

Looks like something changed with emails marked as high priority. They used to get filtered and now they go to his inbox. perhaps a new setting or option that needs to be configured in the users filters to get this behaving as desired.