Thread: [SOLVED] Error: Redolog is smaller than header length of 512 bytes

Exclamation [SOLVED] Error: Redolog is smaller than header length of 512 bytes

Error: Redolog is smaller than header length of 512 bytes
    java.io.IOException: Redolog is smaller than header length of 512 bytes

This is after I 'had to' clear my /opt/zimbra/redologs/ files to get some space on a disk. I'd retained the directory and files, but nulled the contents in it. I know this wasn't a good move and it is not advised to do so.

Now incremental backups are failing with this error. It just says 'no: of errors - 1' but the size of the backup say that there wasn't much files backed up (I do understand that it won't since there are no redologs to start the incrementals)

I understand incremental backups works by periodically moving /opt/zimbra/redologs/redolog/redo.log to archives directory, then initiating the backups after looking into last full backup and the redolog files.

So this will cause a few incremental backups to fail, but for how long? This should recover on its own after sufficient redologs have piled up right? There are entries in the files with /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive directory around a few GB.

I was guessing backup manager would recover this on its own after after the directory has piled up enough files. But I am getting this for succeeding 4 incremental backups. Is this okay or I have to do something to fix this? Please advice.

This is the stack trace that came while listing the backup file.

Number of accounts: 10 out of 10 completed
    Number of errors: 1
    Error: Redolog is smaller than header length of 512 bytes
    java.io.IOException: Redolog is smaller than header length of 512 bytes
    at com.zimbra.cs.redolog.logger.FileHeader.read(FileH eader.java:111)
    at com.zimbra.cs.redolog.logger.FileLogReader.open(Fi leLogReader.java:67)
    at com.zimbra.cs.redolog.logger.FileLogReader.getHead er(FileLogReader.java:80)
    at com.zimbra.cs.backup.util.Utils.splitRedoLogsAtSeq (Utils.java:280)
    at com.zimbra.cs.backup.FileBackupTarget$FileBackupSe t.backupRedoLogs(FileBackupTarget.java:1248)
    at com.zimbra.cs.backup.BackupSet.startIncrementalBac kup(BackupSet.java:788)
    at com.zimbra.cs.backup.FileBackupTarget$FileBackupSe t.startIncrementalBackup(FileBackupTarget.java:104 6)
    at com.zimbra.cs.backup.BackupManager.backupIncrement al(BackupManager.java:323)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.backup.Backup.handleNetworkR equest(Backup.java:152)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.NetworkDocumentHandler.handl e(NetworkDocumentHandler.java:22)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:420)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:274)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:158)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doWork(SoapServlet.jav a:291)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:212)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:727)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:181)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:820)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Ser vletHolder.java:511)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1166)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.SetHeaderFilter.doFilter(Set HeaderFilter.java:79)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
    at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserA gentFilter.java:81)
    at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter .java:155)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Se rvletHandler.java:388)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle( SecurityHandler.java:216)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(Se ssionHandler.java:182)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(Co ntextHandler.java:765)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebA ppContext.java:418)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:152)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.h andle(RewriteHandler.java:230)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.DebugHandler.handle(Debu gHandler.java:77)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(Htt pConnection.java:543)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:939)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser. java:755)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:218)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnec tion.java:405)
    at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:413)
    at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:451)

I just confirmed that running a manual backup is giving me the same error. So this issue has to be patched up.

I am sending out an SOS .. anybody there?

Now this is causing my disk to get full. Size of /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive directory is increasing. Incremental backups are not running as it should be.

The backup location is a second disk thats with enough space. Last full backup has not been moved from there.

Yeeehaaa!!

Sorted this out. I just moved old redologs from /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive directory and kept redologs dated since my last full backup. ie those with dates after my last full backup. Then initiated an incremental and wola .. looks good .. completed without errors.

That has cleared my archive directory too, oh yeah thats what happens when incremental backups run fine.
    Last edited by fyd; 02-08-2011 at 12:05 PM.