Thread: Notes: Upg 6.0.10 to 7.0.0 on Ubuntu 10.10

Default Notes: Upg 6.0.10 to 7.0.0 on Ubuntu 10.10

**EDIT: The reason for the unsupported install on Ubuntu 10.10 is because this machine is a Hyper-V guest.

Hello, everyone,

This is my first post on these forums. I came to Zimbra because I am interested in providing my small business clients with a "Small Business Server" that won't cost a fortune in software licensing and hardware requirements. I actually trashed SBS 2008 server and installed Ubuntu for my own business use as a test run.

I installed Zimbra for the first time a couple days ago. It was an unsupported install of the latest version 6 on Ubuntu 10.10. The only issue I had (which is documented on the forums here) was having to downgrade dpkg to dpkg_1.15.5.6ubuntu4.3_amd64 AFTER installing dependencies. I also configured it using Split DNS since my VM is sitting behind a NAT. All went fairly smooth for my first time, and my email was up and running with multiple domains in no time.

Today I happened back to the Zimbra site to take a look at ZD 2 and saw that ZCS version 7 dropped. Being the early adopter I am, I decided to go for it since I didn't have much mail on my new system yet, and I knew I could rebuild ZCS 6 if needed.

During the process of upgrading, I took some notes in case anyone is interested. I have a friend running V6 on Ubuntu 10.10 as well, so the notes were for him originally.

-------------------------

Notes on Upgrade from ZCS 6.0.10_GA_2692 to 7.0.0_GA_3077 on Ubuntu 10.10

New dependency in ZCS7: sqlite3

Had to upgrade dpkg back to current version, install sqlite3, then downgrade dpkg back to version dpkg_1.15.5.6ubuntu4.3_amd64 again before running ./install.sh.

All seemed normal with install until during or just after the schema upgrade from 64 to 65. The install screen stopped showing any information for a very long time after "Stopping ldap...done.".

I was getting concerned so I opened another Putty session and ran top so I could see if there were any zimbra processes running. Every once in a while I would see some zm processes start and then stop like it was trying to do something, but failing, after 2.5 hours, the installer was still stuck on "Stopping ldap...done.".

My patience was gone, so I hit control C on the installer, and then it started to progress normally again. I don't know what it was hung up on. although the next thing on the screen was the installer "Checking ldap status...not running".

Install continued normally from that point on with no errors or other strangeness. After install was finished the services started and mail flow was restored. Everything seems to be running great so far.

Here is the section from Putty where it got stuck, and 2.5 hours later I hit Control-C (probably could have done this about 10 seconds after it originally got stuck...):

Code:
    Schema upgrade required from version 64 to 65.
    Running /opt/zimbra/libexec/scripts/migrate20100926-Dumpster.pl
    Tue Feb  8 09:59:01 2011: Verified schema version 64.
    Tue Feb  8 09:59:11 2011: Verified schema version 64.
    Tue Feb  8 09:59:11 2011: Updating DB schema version from 64 to 65.
    Stopping mysql...done.
    Updating from 6.0.11_GA
    Stopping ldap...done.

^CChecking ldap status...not running.
    Running zmldapapplyldif...done.
    Checking ldap status...already running.
    Updating from 7.0.0_BETA1
    Updating from 7.0.0_BETA2
    Updating from 7.0.0_BETA3
    Updating from 7.0.0_RC1
    Updating from 7.0.0_GA
    etc...
    I welcome any comments or questions. I thought I was hosed when the installer got stuck, and was quite surprised when everything finished seemingly fine.

Again, I know this isn't a supported install, but I figured someone might find this interesting/useful.

Peace.
    Last edited by Oceas; 02-09-2011 at 09:17 AM.

usually you can detect what's wrong in the zmsetup file created by install in /tmp.
    Once I got similar issue, and found out there.

Out of curiosity, why do you insist in installing on an unsupported OS? :-) Ubuntu 10.04 too old?
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

Quote Originally Posted by maxxer View Post
    usually you can detect what's wrong in the zmsetup file created by install in /tmp.
    Once I got similar issue, and found out there.

Out of curiosity, why do you insist in installing on an unsupported OS? :-) Ubuntu 10.04 too old?
    Thanks for the info.

No, in fact I would have been perfectly happy with 8.04LTS, but my server is a Hyper-V guest (until I can put my own server in) and Ubuntu didn't support Hyper-V fully until 10.10 from my understanding. I have tried to install other versions of Ubuntu on it in the past and there was all kinds of strangeness. My host says 10.10 was solid for them, so there you are.

In a few months I should be putting my own server in the rack, and then I will go back to 10.04. This is working fine though.

Interestingly, my friend mentioned in the original post is running Zimbra on 10.10 and he didn't have the weird hang issue I did. His install went smoothly.

I checked out zmsetup.log and found the hang:

Code:
    --------------
    all done
    Tue Feb  8 09:59:36 2011 Stopping ldap...
    Tue Feb  8 09:59:36 2011 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/ldap stop
    Killing slapd with pid 43046 done.
    Tue Feb  8 09:59:42 2011 done.
    Tue Feb  8 09:59:47 2011 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapindex -b '' -q$
    Tue Feb  8 12:35:54 2011 Checking ldap status...
    Tue Feb  8 12:35:54 2011 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/ldap status
    Tue Feb  8 12:35:55 2011 not running.
    Tue Feb  8 12:35:55 2011 Running zmldapapplyldif...
    Tue Feb  8 12:35:55 2011 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmldapapplyldif
    Tue Feb  8 12:36:07 2011 done.
    Tue Feb  8 12:36:07 2011 Checking ldap status...

hm... there could be another log created during installation. double-check the messages printed on console while installing, I can't remember right now...
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

Well, the above log might not really indicate what happened. The strange thing is that my console was sitting at "Stopping ldap...done." the whole time, which doesn't really match what we are seeing in the log. I suppose the installer could have moved on assuming ldap was stopped when it really wasn't yet. Even though I saw the "done" indication on the screen, it looks like I ended up killing something manually with control C before it could continue.

I did have some SSL/TLS related errors further into the install, looks like zmsetup couldn't find the private key. I'm currently only using webmail, so I'm not worried about this at the moment.
    Last edited by Oceas; 02-09-2011 at 09:14 AM.