Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Removed IM server

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MyBrooklyn View Post
    Zimbra please dont remove “internal IM” for future release.
    The IM server is being removed from ZCS, there's no doubt about it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I don’t understand you add non sense like social networking modules by default but remove a critical feature like "Internal IM"
    Same here. I even voted for the bug to keep it.
    At least one server will never use Zimbra 8.x

Default As long as the interface stays...

I personally don't think its a big deal as long as the client piece stays. If that was to go, then I would be very disappointed!!!

Open fire is more robust anyways and comes at the same price. If I can have Open fire on the back-end and keep the client piece, it is really the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Check it out..
    Ignite Realtime: Openfire Server

Default Dont remove Internal IM

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple View Post
    Same here. I even voted for the bug to keep it.
    At least one server will never use Zimbra 8.x

Well....i guess us majority who would like to keep this feature intact, don’t have any say. It just drives me crazy Zimbra took their time and resources to install new modules like social networking which I find very counterproductive. Please at least keep command option for users to ENABLE IT.

Who knows here how I can plead my case to Zimbra in order for them to keep Internal IM. My users and I utilize IM everyday and makes everything so much easier to get things done under one platform….Please ZIMBRA…. Zimbra users come out and show full support for Internal IM to stay. We want INTERNAL IM to stay in zimbra
    Last edited by MyBrooklyn; 03-20-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Well....i guess us majority who would like to keep this feature intact, don’t have any say.
    Which majority would that be, the few dozen or so people posting on these forums about it?

It just drives me crazy Zimbra took their time and resources to install new modules like social networking which I find very counterproductive. Please at least keep command option for users to ENABLE IT.
    See post #21, it's going - get used to it. You could always take the time to review the bug reports/RFEs about this and see what the changes are likely to be instead of wasting your time posting your 'keep it' messages.
    Regards

Bill

Who knows here how I can plead my case to Zimbra in order for them to keep Internal IM.
    As you seem unwilling to look for the bug report, here it is (check the status of it): Bug 45932 – Remove IM server - you're too late, it's gone.

My users and I utilize IM everyday and makes everything so much easier to get things done under one platform….Please ZIMBRA…. Zimbra users come out and show full support for Internal IM to stay. We want INTERNAL IM to stay in zimbra
    Instead of all this useless ranting in the forums, read the bug report (and the other RFEs) and see what will most likeley be the future of IM & Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The IM server is being removed from ZCS, there's no doubt about it.
    I've read most of the bug reports and understand the reasoning. Will the optional IM server bundled with ZCS8 be similar to the one in ZCS7?

Does the IM server in 7 have the ability to manage shared groups, etc? If so, where can I find docs? If not, I guess I need to look at Openfire...

Thanks
    Release 7.1.4_GA_2555.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition, Patch 7.1.4_P1

Quote Originally Posted by swrightsls View Post
    I've read most of the bug reports and understand the reasoning. Will the optional IM server bundled with ZCS8 be similar to the one in ZCS7?
    I doubt that very much it also wouldn't make sense as the intention is to use an already installed IM server (or one of the user's choice).

Quote Originally Posted by swrightsls View Post
    Does the IM server in 7 have the ability to manage shared groups, etc?
    I don't believe so but that's without understanding exactly what you mean. I would recommend you look at installing a separate IM server for a full feature set.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I doubt that very much it also wouldn't make sense as the intention is to use an already installed IM server (or one of the user's choice).

I don't believe so but that's without understanding exactly what you mean. I would recommend you look at installing a separate IM server for a full feature set.
    I mean, can an admin create global groups, and assign them to various users, etc. Our current inhouse contraption works horribly, but does have a few nice features like allowing one-way IM (where certain classes of users cannot initiate a message, but can receive and respond to one - designed for students), and location display, where the physical location of a user on a campus is displayed (hostname). It also by default will only list online users, from which users can build a favourites list.

You're right, I should look at Openfire or similar...

What we really need though is a client that can be locked down for certain classes of users. Otherwise our students would be chatting all day long... (we block facebook during the day).

Openfire looks like a good option for us as an XMPP server, provided we can get SSO to work. Is there any way to get the ZCS7 IM client to use an external XMPP server?

Any recommendations on a lightweight windows XMPP client if we can't use ZCS7 for now?