Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: debian 6 squeeze

Now that Debian 5 is officially EOL'd by the Debian team, I am curious if there has been any more headway toward a Debian 6 Zimbra release. Debian 5 no longer has any security team and will no longer receive any updates, so we will have to upgrade all of our servers. It would be disappointing to have to switch to a different platform just for Zimbra.

I did test installations of both the Ubuntu 10_64 package and Debian5_64 package on a Debian Squeeze server, after downgrading dpkg as described on the previous page. Both seemed functionally equivalent to each other and both started up, but for convenience's sake I'm going to run the Debian5_64 package until an official Debian6 package is released.

Unhappy

Is there any news about any supported Debian version after Zimbra 7.2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    There are plans for a DEBIAN6 release. However, it takes time to get a new platform up and verified, and the operation of dpkg was changed since DEBIAN5 which needs some special handling as well. There will be a DEBIAN6 release at some point.
    is this still valid? anyone has succeed using zimbra 7 on Debian squeeze ?

Yes I have it running on Squeeze just fine using the previously mentioned dpkg downgrade. Been running for a couple months now with no issues.

I'm running 7.1.4 GA on Debian Squeeze. Haven't tried upgrading to 7.2.0 yet but shouldn't present any issues.

You just have to downgrade dpkg any time you need to install or upgrade Zimbra, then do an `apt-get dist-upgrade` afterward to fix.

Zimbra itself it's a complicated matter for a production environment.

I prefer myself not complicate adding a not supported OS.

Of course, just my thougths.

ccelis.

Nobody seems to know if Zimbra is going to continue with a Debian release, this thread was started in Feb 2011, and one and a half years later, still no update from Zimbra as to whether there will be a Debian release or not. That's a bit lame, a simple yes or no would suffice, and even if it won't be ready for v7.x, it would be at least polite to keep us informed if it's intended for a future release, or just a completely dropped platform. Surely someone must know if the team is working on it or not? And even if dpkg did change, it wouldn't take one and a half years to make a release that would work with it.

Considering that a lot of people tend to use Debian as a server platform, it doesn't seem right to keep everyone in limbo.

Just registering my curiosity about a Release of Zimbra 8 on Debian 6.

It was mentioned long ago that there were plans for a new Debian 6 release back in the days of Z7 but I haven't seen anything since. Even an official we've changed our minds and have NO plans going forward for Debian 6 would be appreciated. At least then I could move on and find a replacement for Zimbra

Quote Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post
    Just registering my curiosity about a Release of Zimbra 8 on Debian 6.

It was mentioned long ago that there were plans for a new Debian 6 release back in the days of Z7 but I haven't seen anything since. Even an official we've changed our minds and have NO plans going forward for Debian 6 would be appreciated. At least then I could move on and find a replacement for Zimbra
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...tml#post209809

Last post regarding http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...tml#post209809

ccelis