Thread: Updating Zimbra - General Question

Hybrid View

Default Updating Zimbra - General Question

Hey,
    Im running Zimbra on a Ubuntu deidacted Server. My actual Version is:
    Release 6.0.7_GA_2473.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition

Since i really don`t know how to update, i would apreciate if anyone could tell me, if there is a update-version that updates vom my version up to the newest one and how I can do this.

Thanks

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jakob.m View Post
    Im running Zimbra on a Ubuntu deidacted Server. My actual Version is:
    Release 6.0.7_GA_2473.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition

Since i really don`t know how to update, i would apreciate if anyone could tell me, if there is a update-version that updates vom my version up to the newest one and how I can do this.
    Full details of what you need to do and which version(s) you may upgrade from are always in the Release Notes and they're available on the download page. Upgrade procedures have been mentioned once or twice in the forums but basically you do a full backup then run the install.sh script. Read the release notes for full details of what fixes are in the upgrade and details of any outstanding issues that may affect your installation - you should always read the notes before you upgrade.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

hey,
    thanks for this very quick reply.
    Ive got two more questions.
    1. Do I have to upgrade now every patch that has been released since my version or is there a pack of patches that includes all the ones between my version and the actual one?

2. is there any howto for a secure backup of the whole zimbra files?

You can go from 6.0.7 > 7.0.0 (no need to step through every minor version).

Start by reading the release notes, the short version:

Take a backup, CLI - zmbackup Network Edition Only - Zimbra :: Wiki or make copy of /opt/zimbra (the usual install location) somewhere Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - Zimbra :: Wiki

Also be sure your certs are still valid, then run ./install.sh It would appear Zimbra 6 -> 7 - Zimbra does not know its own virtual hosts doesn't seem to affect pre 6.0.10 but extra precaution never hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by liveaverage
    did not experience this issue upgrading from 6.0.8 to 7.0 on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 64-bit. I did make a quick copy of my main.cf just-in-case, but the permissions and contents of the file were well-maintained through the upgrade process.
    After you can also run /opt/zimbra/libexec/scripts/migrate20100913-Mysql51.pl at leisure as it takes a while. (Again see release notes.)

sorry, but I`m a bit scared of taking the wrong file. Wich one would I need to perfomr the upgrade and where can i find this main.cf and is it really enough to perform a zimbra internal backup or do i need a bigger backup?

See earlier in that thread /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/main.cf

Yes that's the intent of the full backup argument, but everyone has different needs. If you're new to zmbackup commands (ie have never run a complete restore walkthrough test of your backup) it might be prudent to take a snapshot or disk/file copy (which tend to be kept the same way logically directory structure wise if you need to go hunting for something custom you implemented.)

Also comes down to space (on other device or even same server) as well, I'm gonna assume you're single server, but say you have lots of mail storage; when paired with a full zmbackup, skipping the 'store' directory in an /opt/zimbra copy (like rsync -avHK /opt/zimbra/ /backup/zimbra --exclude=/store/) is probably enough, 'index' is usually the next biggest directory and can be rebult if needed, db (mysql) data/ldap and conf on the other hand are more important.

Mike,
    Just for edification:
    Is zmbackup the same as what's in the ZCS Admin UI?

Bruce