Thread: From FOSS Zimbra 7 64bit 8.04 LTS to 64bit 10.04 LTS

Default From FOSS Zimbra 7 64bit 8.04 LTS to 64bit 10.04 LTS

I have Zimbra 7 running on Ubuntu 64 bit release 8.0.4 LTS and I wish to go to Ubuntu 64 bit 10.04 LTS since that is now supported.

What is my correct course of action ?
    Is this just a Ubuntu Server upgrade or not at all ?

Thanks in advance to all.

I did some reading. Is this the process:

Method For Open Source Edition Users
    -------------------------------------
    Second method which you can follow is using rsync command, here are the steps:
    Same Operation System

If and only if the Operating System is going to be same on both old and new server:

* Stop your existing ZCS using "zmcontrol stop".
    * Check if no zimbra process is running if so kill that process.
    * Do a cold and offline backup of /opt/zimbra directory using rsync command:

# rsync -avHK /opt/zimbra /opt/zimbra.bak

* Copy the zimbra.bak file to the new server. (Please see Talk:Moving_ZCS_to_New_Server)
    * On new server, install the same version of ZCS and Keep the "hostname" and "zmhostname" same as old server.
    * Stop ZCS on new server using "zmcontrol stop".
    * Remove the complete zimbra directory:

# rm -rf /opt/zimbra

* Restore from cold backup using rsync command:

# rsync -avHK /opt/zimbra.bak /opt/zimbra
    Last edited by spectra; 02-16-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Even though you're not going from 32-bit to 64-bit, I'd probably follow the same guide when making the transition to a new operating system. It requires a fresh Zimbra install and a manual restore of the messages, indexes, databases, LDAP info, etc. (Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki)

A couple of questions:

- Do you have a spare machine for testing BEFORE you make the upgrade to 10.04 LTS? Or resources to try this in a virtual machine prior to a live transition?

I made the jump (several, actually) from a virtualized Ubuntu 6.06 LTS 32-bit running Zimbra 5.0.X to an Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 64-bit release running Zimbra 6.0.X (on an HP ProLiant 320 G5p). It took a decent amount of time for the transition, but it went pretty smooth. I followed the guide above from the wiki and it went well... The only difference was that I upgraded to 6.0.X AFTER moving the existing 5.0.X install. I also had the luxury of a bare, unused server... It would have been an uneasy/difficult move had I not been able to test EVERYTHING before performing the upgrade...

I'd recommend doing a full test in a lab environment (if possible) before proceeding. I'm not sure if the procedure you listed will work or not, but it's worth a try in a test environment. I found this wiki article (scroll all the way to the bottom) as well, which has detailed steps for moving servers/OS (from Fedora to Ubuntu):

Moving ZCS to New Server - Zimbra :: Wiki

But I also noticed it referenced the same 32-bit to 64-bit article [at least for migrating LDAP configuration]. Ignore the last part of that how-to if your hostname isn't changing... Hope this helps,

>JR