Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: zmmilterctl is not running

I unchecked the milter service and... everything's working now!
    Thank you very much!

Exclamation Rats... again

I hate to bother you again with the same problems, but this time I haven't been able to fix it on my own.
    I upgraded from 7.1.3 to 7.1.4 (FOSS). Then I patched my server accordingly, with patches 2567 & 2568.
    The problem is that my server stopped signing messages with OpenDKIM and none of the solutions I've searched seem to work.
    I even restarted my zimbra server, with no further success with OpenDKIM.

Maybe I'm in the wrong topic, but I really appreciate any help.

Thanx in advance
    KM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kminamoto View Post
    I hate to bother you again with the same problems, but this time I haven't been able to fix it on my own.
    I upgraded from 7.1.3 to 7.1.4 (FOSS). Then I patched my server accordingly, with patches 2567 & 2568.
    The problem is that my server stopped signing messages with OpenDKIM and none of the solutions I've searched seem to work.
    I even restarted my zimbra server, with no further success with OpenDKIM.

Maybe I'm in the wrong topic, but I really appreciate any help.
    Yes, this is the wrong topic.

Which instructions are you following for the openDKIM implementation? Have you add the correct milter settings to the ZCS config file?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default OpenDKIM not signing.

phoenix, thank you for your quick reply
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Which instructions are you following for the openDKIM implementation? Have you add the correct milter settings to the ZCS config file?
    Everything (OpenDKIM included) was working fine until I updated to ZCS 7.1.4.

I put these settings in main.cf:
    smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:8891
    non_smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:8891
    milter_protocol = 2
    milter_default_action = accept

8891 is my opendkim listening port

In my admin console >> Server Settings >> MTA, Enable Milter Server is unchecked, and 'Milter Server Bind Port: 8891'
    I tried checking it, but I got the 'zmmmilterctl Stopped' error and MTA stops, although now opendkim starts working.
    Now, strange thing is that everytime I change my ~/postfix/conf/main.cf and I do a 'zmmtactl restart', changes in file dissapear!

Hope you can help me.
    Thnx.

Everything (OpenDKIM included) was working fine until I updated to ZCS 7.1.4.
    That wasn't what I asked you. It helps if you answer the questions I ask, I wanted to know which instructions you followed for implementing openDKIM.

Now, strange thing is that everytime I change my ~/postfix/conf/main.cf and I do a 'zmmtactl restart', changes in file dissapear!
    That's normal and you shouldn't make any changes to that file. The openDKIM milter settings should go in: /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/master.cf.in - do note that they don't survive a Zimbra upgrade.
    Regards

Bill

Please excuse me if I was rude, I got a bit carried away. I'm under some stress in here and these errors make my patience drop.

That wasn't what I asked you. It helps if you answer the questions I ask, I wanted to know which instructions you followed for implementing openDKIM.
    I searched in the forums for instructions, and tried, until this worked for me:
    1) Change opendkim port to 8891 in /etc/opendkim.conf
    2) 'zmprov mcf zimbraMilterBindPort: 8891' // changing the milter listening port to 8891
    3) 'zmmtactl stop && zmmtactl start' // restart mta service
    4) Then I went to the CP >> Global Settings >> MTA >> Milter Server, and now Milter Server Bind Port showed 8891, but Enable Milter Server was unchecked.
    5) Checked the box and saved config.
    6) Then I got the 'zmmilterctl is not running' error and I posted in this topic [231110].
    Then you kindly helped me, by saying "Go to the Admin UI and uncheck the option that enables the milter service"
    7) I unchecked the option as stated, and everything went running smooth as silk. OpenDKIM was signing all my mails AND MTA was running.

That, until I updated to ZCS 7.1.4, where openDKIM stopped signing my emails.
    So, I tried with same previous instructions (2 to 4), but nothing happened.
    Then I tried editing ~/postfix/conf/main.cf + 'zmmtactl restart', but nothing happened.

That's normal and you shouldn't make any changes to that file. The openDKIM milter settings should go in: /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/master.cf.in - do note that they don't survive a Zimbra upgrade.
    I also tried to edit ~/postfix/conf/master.cf.in and adding at the end of the file the following lines:
    -o milter_default_action=accept
    -o smtpd_milters=inet:localhost:8891
    -o non_smtpd_milters=inet:localhost:8891
    -o disable_mime_output_conversion=yes
    + 'zmmtactl restart'
    + 'zmcontrol restart' (just in case )

And here I am, totally clueless. Maybe I missed something, maybe I mistyped something, I dunno. Thank you for your patience.
    Regards,
    KM

I don't know wher you got those instruction for using openDKIM but the Zimbra Milter port has nothing to do with openDKIm, it's for a 'policyd' daemon.

The instructions you need to follow are these (with obvious changes for ZCS): How to get DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) working with Postfix on RHEL 5 / CentOS 5 using OpenDKIM | Steve Jenkins' Blog
    Regards

Bill

Well, I forgot to say I 'yum install'ed opendkim, but I followed those instructions you mention, to config opendkim.
    I am currently using opendkim 2.4.2-5, downloaded from, I guess, rpmforge repo.

Well, I forgot to say I 'yum install'ed opendkim, but I followed those instructions you mention, to config opendkim.
    I am currently using opendkim 2.4.2-5, downloaded from, I guess, rpmforge repo.
    I think you mean EPEL.

Go to the web page install instructions again and read-up on milter_protocol and then this page: Postfix before-queue Milter support - you need to set that correctly.
    Regards

Bill