Thread: setting up smtp and pop3

Hybrid View

Default setting up smtp and pop3

Hello,
    I am a newbie to Zimbra using Zimbra 6.0. In my company I use qmail up til now and through pop3 I download emails for all our accounts from the email server of our provider (lies on the Internet on the address 81.2.195.201).

Please can you help me how to configure zimbra to download emails from our provider?

We also sent all emails through smtp server of our provider 81.2.195.204 that is authenticated. Can you help me please where to set up smtp server so that all emails are sent to 81.2.195.204 and authenticated with login and password different from the one for the local email account

Thanks a lot

libor

You need this install guide. Pay close attention to the Split DNS stuff.

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server (Hardy Heron) Install Guide - Zimbra :: Wiki

This is the article for the smtp authentication
    Outgoing SMTP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki

I can help you if you need help. Just post

Thank you for your help. I followed the wiki pages and it started to work. But I would like to ask you one more question.

My local domain for zimbra is company.cz and on that zimbra server I have just a couple of accounts for my company and the rest is on other servers (I have two more qmail servers). Unfortunatelly, from my zimbra I am not able to send email to other email addreses of my company (those that are on different mail servers). All the mails (both from zimbra and from qmail) go through our providerīs smtp.

Please can you help me how to configure zimbra so that all the emails for company.cz would go through the providerīs smtp.

Thank you
    libor

Is your Zimbra behind any kind of firewall ?
    In most cases, if you are behind a firewall doing NAT then you must be certain to do the split dns talked about in the article.

Did you do that ? Did you do the test as per the article ? You recall where they say nslookup thedomain.com and what it should return.

If all was well you should be able to send to anywhere and receive from anywhere.

Thank you for help. My firewall doesnot block the communication. When I nslookup providerīs smtp server I receive a correct answer.

I found out when I write an email to a nonfirm domain it works well. But when I write an email to an account in my firm firma.cz (account is not in zimbra) in my logs there is "relay=none". Therefore I think that zimbra thinks that the account belongs to the zimbra server and does not proceed to the relay server. Am I right? If so, howto setup all mails goes throug relay server?

Thank you for a prospective help and patience
    libor