Thread: [SOLVED] Folder sizes or message sizes in list

Question [SOLVED] Folder sizes or message sizes in list

Hi. Zimbra is a great mail app but is there any way to be able to view folder sizes, or message sizes with attachements, in the list view within the webmail interface?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Welcome to the forums.

Zimbra has the size of the mail (not folder size, AFAIK) in the web UI under the column 'Size' or have I missed something in your question? There's also a quota page in the admin UI that shows a users quota and how much of it is used. Have you tried the demo of Zimbra to see what it can/does do?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    Zimbra has the size of the mail (not folder size, AFAIK) in the web UI under the column 'Size' or have I missed something in your question? There's also a quota page in the admin UI that shows a users quota and how much of it is used. Have you tried the demo of Zimbra to see what it can/does do?
    Thanks for the speedy response Bill. I have been using zimbra for a few weeks now, but in 'conversation' view, not 'message' view. Following your post and a bit of experimentation, I have now found out that you get a 'size' column in 'message' view

I know about the quota notice in the admin UI, but I was trying to find out if there is a way of determining the content size of each folder e.g. if the user is at their quota limit and wants to find out which folder is using up the most space.

Ah yes, the 'message' view - I always use that so I tend to forget about the conversation view. Sorry abouut that.

I don't have any particular thoughts about mailbox or folder size as it's not an issue with me although I guess it could be a useful feature. As I mentioned, it's not available at the moment so the best thing you can do is file an RFE in bugzilla for the feature and don't forget to vote on it.

If you're using Conversation view then folders do tend to become redundant. There seems no point in maintaining folders if all your mail is in one box with an excellent search facility like Zimbra provides. I know that KevinH (one of the zimbra guys) has an inbox that's 2Gb+ no folders just lots of saved searches. I know it's difficult to wean users from the folder view but it may be benificial in the end.
    Regards

Bill

I have lots of clients who are used to using folders and for whom building and saving searches is just too complex for them to want to worry about. In fact, I'm starting to understand why so many of them are not liking zimbra; because the system defaults to 'conversation' mode and the interface is so complex that they become a little lost. 'Message' mode by default would have been a far better choice in my opinion.

My many clients fall into two distinct categories with regards to zimbra: they are either reasonably computer literate and love it; or they struggle with new concepts and they hate it. Personally, I wish that the zimbra UI scripts were a little leaner so that it would load quicker and act slicker, but I'm more interested in the operational benefits of the system as a whole than its interface weaknesses of complexity and lack of immediacy. I also very much appreciate the fact that the makers have released the OS version for free - what stars they are

You can change the default view of messages in Zimbra in the admin ui on the COS/Preferences tab. It might be better to set the default to Message view and tell people who like Conversation view to make the changes to their own defaults for the view they prefer.
    Regards

Bill

FYI, there is currently an open RFE for showing folder sizes:

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4898

Feel free to vote for it!
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!