Thread: Merging Zimbras and migration to Zimbra 7

Default Merging Zimbras and migration to Zimbra 7

Hi,

I am running Zimbra 6 FOSS and looking to migrate to Zimbra 7. At the moment, I have two separate Zimbra installation (office-1.com and office-2.com having historically separate domains and infrastructures) and we're using to migration opportunity to merge both domains into a single installation domain (company.com) with two mailbox servers in a multi-server setup.

Can someone outline the steps to follow to perform such an import ? I could install new servers and import existing users and mailboxes, but it would require migrating the storage and it would force a longer downtime than I'd like. Is there a way to do that by upgrading/reconfiguring the existing installation?

Thank you in advance.

As I realize my initial post wasn't very clear, here are what I am trying to do. Upgrading process went fine.

I have domainA.com with its own installation (MTA+LDAP on one server, mailbox store on another server) and domainB.com with the same setup.

Both domain will soon be merged into a domainC.com and I'd like to merge them with the minimal amount of effort.

First method I considered was to rename domainA.com into domainC.com and just import users and mailbox from domainB.com into the new architecture. It will be my last resort solution as it involves moving a lot of data around, and domainA and domainB aren't physically in the same location.

I am considering renaming domainA.com into domainC.com (keeping users and mailbox in their place) and reconfiguring domainB.com mailbox server to become a mailbox server linked to domainC.com's LDAP server, then import account (not mailboxes) into domainC.com's LDAP, specifying that their mailboxes should be kept on the server where they are currently. And somehow I hope the imported accounts will carry enough data to find them without having to move them around.

Is it possible? Or does mailbox importing works totally differently?