Thread: simple backup before upgrade

Default simple backup before upgrade

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my Zimbra Server from 6.0.8 to 7.0.1 in couple of days, (most probably tomorrow). It is always advisable to have a complete backup before performing any upgrade. So if I just copy the entire /opt/zimbra to another location on same server would be enough?

Dipesh

At work, since I'm using XFS on an LVM, I just do a snapshot, at home, I'm running VirtualBox and do a snapshot on it as well.

Is it always advisable? In my opinion, yes.

If I didn't have either, then yes, I would duplicate the /opt directory.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Hi Dipesh,

If it is a backup of /opt/zimbra directory, nothing else is required. Keeping it local is fine. But before you do that I would also suggest taking a full account backup with 'su - zimbra; zmbackup -f -a all -s server.domain.com'. That will be placed in /opt/zimbra/backup and will go along with your backup. If the zimbra backup target directory is configured on a second drive, it is well and good.

imho, I also keep a config backup with 'su - zimbra; zmprov gacf > /root/zimbraconf' while I do an upgrade, that adds to the peace of mind. Then do a simple zmcontrol status and copy it safe just so that I don't scratch my head thinking of the services hehe
    Last edited by fyd; 03-13-2011 at 03:44 AM.

thanks for detailed replies.

I have setup secondary mx so that inbound mails would be delivered there during upgrade process. I would backup existing zimbra data as guided, and perform upgrade. Since this is my first upgrade after zimbra deployed, I was little worried.

Well, do I need to down zimbra before running 'su - zimbra; zmbackup -f -a all -s server.domain.com' ?

Dipesh

I believe zmbackup is only for the paid versions of zimbra.

If you are using ZCS you will want to run a zmcontrol stop before you backup the /opt/zimbra folder or else it won't be able to copy some of the databases/files over.

Quote Originally Posted by dipeshmehta View Post
    thanks for detailed replies.

I have setup secondary mx so that inbound mails would be delivered there during upgrade process.
    Dipesh
    Perfect, that is a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by dipeshmehta View Post
    Well, do I need to down zimbra before running 'su - zimbra; zmbackup -f -a all -s server.domain.com' ?
    Dipesh
    Account backups with that command is a NE feature, sorry I didn't mention it. For your info, it is done with zimbra running. The backup process in NE is explained in this thread comment

I can see there are many custom scripts designed for account backing in FOSS discussed in zimbra forums. This is one of them which has tried to bring in all steps. Please see if it suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by lpmartineau View Post
    I believe zmbackup is only for the paid versions of zimbra.

If you are using ZCS you will want to run a zmcontrol stop before you backup the /opt/zimbra folder or else it won't be able to copy some of the databases/files over.
    Yeah right. That will make sure you get all your data backed up. Your secondary MX should support you here.