Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: webDAV shared briefcase folders

Default webDAV shared briefcase folders

I am mounting my briefcase with webDAV on Win7

My own folders mount without issue however folders that have been shared with me produce the same problem as described at the start of this post :

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...inxp-win7.html

I can mount the folder but everything below that whether files or folders have the name of the folder above appended to the start of their name so I get errors such as ".....does not exist" and "The parameter is incorrect", presumably because the object with the name shown doesn't exist.

This problem also occurs when using NetDrive in XP and the WebDrive demo and the fact that folders I own mount correctly tell me that this is an issue with Zimbras webDAV with respect to shared folders.

Does anyone know of a way to reliably mount shared folders or is this broken ?

Really - is no one interested in this ?

Being able to centrally manage the sharing of documents over webDAV would be extremely useful if it worked properly, and as webDAV does work for an individuals folder I don't see why it shouldn't for shares.

I presume I'm not doing anything wrong because I get the same result on my test box as on the production server.

Does anyone have any input here ?

Should I be submitting this as a bug ?

Perhaps I should have posted in Admin - any chance of getting this moved ?

Well, it is in Administrators now.

Personally, I think that robust WebDAV access to Briefcase (including RW) would be great. So if you think you've found a bug, you should report it.

However, it works fine under MacOS X 10.6/ZCS 6.0.12 NE. I just tested. I put a few items into the Briefcase of a test account, shared the briefcase to myself, and accessed the following URL:

https://zimbra.company.com/dav/test@company.com

Also works fine with Windows XP (configured as a Network Place), although double-clicking on a file tries to open it via my web browser, which then tries to re-authenticate. However I can copy the file to my desktop, or delete it in situ, without a problem.

With Windows 7, I could authenticate, but the DAV folder was empty. The thread you linked has some extra steps, but I didn't try them.

Looking further, it seems that WebDAV in Windows 7 had a bunch of problems out of the gate. Not sure if they've been fixed. Some Google searching on generic issues with Win7 & WebDAV turns up a couple threads with suggestions:

can not connect to WEBDAV server ?
    Webdav

You could also try another WebDAV client, e.g.: FTP, SFTP and WebDAV client

Ok - I've been messing with this for sometime now and I think I've defiantly found a bug - please could someone confirm ?

A lot of the problems I was having is down to the borked implementation of webdav in Win7.

So in order to get around this a 3rd party application is required. I wanted the webdav to show as a drive / folder in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator so I got a copy of Gladinets pro edition.

I chose this for a few reasons - it shows as drive, it's cheap and there's a money back guarantee if it doesn't work.

It didn't work so I contacted them asking them to fix it or return my payment. They have been extremely helpful and once I set up an account on my install to play with they offered to make me a "private build" of their software. They told me that they didn't want to release the features in the private build until they were sure that all was working as it should so I set about testing.

I came across one problem. It's not possible to change the name of a file contained in a folder shared by another user. I contacted Gladinet about this and they spent quite some time attempting to fix it without success.

It is possible to change the name of a file in one of my own briefcase folders but not a folder shared with me. This does not just occur with Gladinets software but also with BitKinex 3.2.3 on Win7 and davfs2 1.4.5-1 running on Lucid32.

BitKinex gives a 424 Failed Dependency

Here is the log when BitKinex attemps to change "test doc.odt" to "test doc1.odt" - too long to post

http://db.tt/QRhp2EQ

I know about one issue in bugzilla.

https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=44993

There is about unable to rename directory from windows 7 (explorer), netdrive and anyclient.

In Total Commander under the Windows 7 I am able to rename directory.

That bug you linked to is marked fixed and the problem I've found is defiantly not fixed. I think the bug may be related to renaming inside a briefcase folder I own while what I have noticed is related to folders that have been shared with me where I have been given admin rights.

I've installed TC 7.56a on Win7 with webDAV plugin 2.1. Have you altered any settings from the standard install ? Using TC I can't even rename files/folders in my own briefcases let alone those shared with me.

Using Cyberduck on Win7 give me the same HTTP/1.1 424 Failed

CrossFTP on Lucid32 gives me :

Code:
    [R1] RENAME /dav/my.username/test's Shared with user/sub-folder/sub-folder2/test doc.odt to /dav/my.username/test's Shared with user/sub-folder/sub-folder2/test doc1.odt
    [R1] Failed
    [R1] Failed Dependency (424)
    This problem exists when using various clients on both Win7 and Linux which says to me that this is a bug in Zimbra.

It seems like fixed, but I have submitted bug which has been flagged like duplicated of that...

Free version of Total Commander in current version without any tuning.
    I can create/delete/rename/upload/download files from webdav...
    In explorer in Windows 7 I can do everything except rename of directory.

Meesha

Is this true with files/folders that have been shared with you, not files/folders that exist in your own Briefcase ?

I find it more than a little odd that I get the same result across a number of clients / operating systems

Oh, I have tested this only with files in my Briefcase...