Thread: What on EARTH is going on?

Default What on EARTH is going on?

Trying to trackdown the cause of several complaints of a "slow email server," I noticed that on our Mac, every once in a while I get a java process that pops up claiming that it's using 12 MILLION TB. Huh? I tracked the process and something is running java -version every once in a while as the zimbra user. What is this? Can it be disabled?

And unrelated completely to Zimbra but related to the server's response time I disabled Open Directory and Active Directory; the mail server has its own LDAP db and doesn't need to be bound to anything else, which made DirectoryService quit being such a big CPU hog.

And I don't know if this one was related or not, but AppleTalk of all things was turned on over our 2 bound 1000BaseT Ethernet ports. Heaven knows why. Turned that off too.
    Last edited by jbuell; 04-26-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: added info

So what's the issue? When did it start happening? What changes were made prior to then?

Cheers ws

Well, I'm not sure there IS an issue as such, but it sure looks weird when I'm watching Activity Monitor and suddenly the process java, owned by the zimbra user, reports that it's running 12 million TB of virtual memory. As I said in my first post, I think I was able to take care of some of the speed complaints with things unrelated to Zimbra.
    I have no idea when this might have started. I only noticed it today because I was watching for processes using a lot of "Real Memory" or Virtual Memory. We haven't made any changes to the system since updating it to 5.0.26 in early January.

Just so people can see what the heck I'm rambling about, I'm attaching 4 screenshots. It's happening with more than one java process now - but I have a feeling it might be related more to Apple's implementation of Java rather than anything to do with Zimbra. The screenshots were all taken about a minute apart from each other.
    Attached Images Attached Images