Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Two Zimbra processes listening on port 25?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Two Zimbra processes listening on port 25?

    Hi All

    I upgraded from zimbra 3.1 to 4.0.2 on Fedora4.

    Everything went quite well except that my Barracuda SpamFireWall server now seems to have some problem communicating with the Zimbra server.

    Running netstat -anp shows two processes master and smtpd listening on port 25. Is this normal?

    A netstat -anp shows : (IP changed, 216.180.225.77 is the Zimbra server, and
    216.180.225.76 is the Barracuda SpamFireWall server).

    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 11424/master

    tcp 0 0 216.180.225.77:25 216.180.225.76:34031 TIME_WAIT -
    tcp 0 0 216.180.225.77:25 216.180.225.76:34030 TIME_WAIT -


    Running netstat -anp again shows:

    tcp 0 0 216.180.225.77:25 216.180.225.76:34027 ESTABLISHED 13532/smtpd


    Can someboy confirm that this is normal? Thank you.


    ps -ax | grep master output :

    11424 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/libexec/master

    ps -ax | grep smtpd

    13532 ? S 0:00 smtpd -n smtp -t inet -u
    15912 ? S 0:00 smtpd -n smtp -t inet -u
    15919 ? S 0:00 smtpd -n 127.0.0.1:10025 -t inet -u -o content_filter -o local_recipient_maps -o virtual_mailbox_maps -o virtual_alias_maps -o relay_recipient_maps -o smtpd_restriction_classes -o smtpd_delay_reject no -o smtpd_client_restrictions permit_mynetworks,reject -o smtpd_helo_restrictions -o smtpd_sender_restrictions -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions permit_mynetworks,reject -o mynetworks_style host -o mynetworks 127.0.0.0/8 -o strict_rfc821_envelopes yes -o smtpd_error_sleep_time 0 -o smtpd_soft_error_limit 1001 -o smtpd_hard_error_limit 1000 -o smtpd_client_connection_count_limit 0 -o smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit 0 -o receive_override_options no_header_body_checks,no_unknown_recipient_checks, no_address_mappings

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zzzzsg
    Running netstat -anp shows two processes master and smtpd listening on port 25. Is this normal?

    A netstat -anp shows : (IP changed, 216.180.225.77 is the Zimbra server, and
    216.180.225.76 is the Barracuda SpamFireWall server).

    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 11424/master

    tcp 0 0 216.180.225.77:25 216.180.225.76:34031 TIME_WAIT -
    tcp 0 0 216.180.225.77:25 216.180.225.76:34030 TIME_WAIT -


    Running netstat -anp again shows:

    tcp 0 0 216.180.225.77:25 216.180.225.76:34027 ESTABLISHED 13532/smtpd


    Can someboy confirm that this is normal? Thank you.
    A short answer is yes. Please notice that there is only one "LISTEN" socket in you nestat -anpt.

    HTH,

    -g

    PS: you should not post your real IP to a public forum.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Thank you.

    So your answer is "Yes, it is normal to have 2 processes listening on port 25" ??

    or No, it is not normal ?


    which of the processes belong to Zimbra?
    master or smtpd ?

    /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/libexec/master seems to be the legitimate one?

    but what's this smtpd?
    13532 ? S 0:00 smtpd -n smtp -t inet -u
    15912 ? S 0:00 smtpd -n smtp -t inet -u

    note that master is listening on 0.0.0.0:25
    while smtpd is listening on 216.180.225.77:25

    is this normal?


    Thank you.

    p.s. the IP addresses have been changed. they aren't mine.




    Quote Originally Posted by graffiti
    A short answer is yes. Please notice that there is only one "LISTEN" socket in you nestat -anpt.

    HTH,

    -g

    PS: you should not post your real IP to a public forum.
    Last edited by zzzzsg; 10-15-2006 at 11:07 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    518
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    like graffiti said, there's only one process actually LISTENing on 25, postfix master, which hands off each new connection to an smtpd process

    master is listening on port 25 on all network interfaces:
    >tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 11424/master
    smtpd is processing a connection from the remote host 216.180.225.76 on port 25 on the interface with ip 216.180.225.77:
    >tcp 0 0 216.180.225.77:25 216.180.225.76:34027 ESTABLISHED 13532/smtpd
    some potentially clarifying or confusing information:
    Postfix Architecture Overview
    TCP State Machine (TCP/IP Illustrated vol. 1) W. Richard Stevens

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zzzzsg
    Thank you.

    So your answer is "Yes, it is normal to have 2 processes listening on port 25" ??

    or No, it is not normal ?


    which of the processes belong to Zimbra?
    master or smtpd ?

    /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/libexec/master seems to be the legitimate one?

    but what's this smtpd?
    13532 ? S 0:00 smtpd -n smtp -t inet -u
    15912 ? S 0:00 smtpd -n smtp -t inet -u

    note that master is listening on 0.0.0.0:25
    while smtpd is listening on 216.180.225.77:25

    is this normal?


    Thank you.

    p.s. the IP addresses have been changed. they aren't mine.
    Yes, this is normal. /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/libexec/master belongs to postfix aka zimbra-mta. smtpd is also part of postfix. When master is started, it will automatically start all the services defined in /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/conf/master.cf.

    -g

Similar Threads

  1. Zimbra shutdowns every n hours.
    By Andrewb in forum Administrators
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM
  2. Can't start Zimbra!
    By zibra in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 11:34 AM
  3. Zimbra server crashed
    By goetzi in forum Administrators
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 12:00 PM
  4. Zimbra Processor Output
    By UltraFlux in forum Installation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 07:23 AM
  5. Monitoring : Data not yet avalaible
    By s3nz3x in forum Installation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 06:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •