Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Add Outlook/WP7 connectivity to free version?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Add Outlook/WP7 connectivity to free version?

    I found a reference which describes the process of connecting Windows Phone 7 to Zimbra, and it merely states setting it up using the WP7 native Outlook client.

    Now, this connectivity is obviously not available in the free, open source Collaboration Suite in the standard download package. But is it available to add onto it in any way? I don't want to purchase a full commercial version, since this is just for my personal and family use. I would, however, be fine paying for the connector or add-on or whatever is required just to add this functionality (as long as it was "reasonably priced").

  2. #2
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YakkoWarner View Post
    I found a reference which describes the process of connecting Windows Phone 7 to Zimbra, and it merely states setting it up using the WP7 native Outlook client.
    That page is not provided by Zimbra, it's a user provided page at their web site for users of their Zimbra NE service.

    Quote Originally Posted by YakkoWarner View Post
    Now, this connectivity is obviously not available in the free, open source Collaboration Suite in the standard download package. But is it available to add onto it in any way? I don't want to purchase a full commercial version, since this is just for my personal and family use. I would, however, be fine paying for the connector or add-on or whatever is required just to add this functionality (as long as it was "reasonably priced").
    The ability to connect Mobile devices to Zimbra is a feature of the Network Edition.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That page is not provided by Zimbra, it's a user provided page at their web site for users of their Zimbra NE service.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was. I was just referencing it as a clear example of what I was looking for.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The ability to connect Mobile devices to Zimbra is a feature of the Network Edition.
    The Network Edition provides a lot of functionality I don't need for more than I'm able to pay for a home email server, which is why I was hoping just to buy the feature I need instead of a whole product.

  4. #4
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YakkoWarner View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was. I was just referencing it as a clear example of what I was looking for.
    I was just point that out for future readers of this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by YakkoWarner View Post
    The Network Edition provides a lot of functionality I don't need for more than I'm able to pay for a home email server, which is why I was hoping just to buy the feature I need instead of a whole product.
    Network Edition is the same as the OSS version with the addition of a few extra feature, apart from those (basically Backup/Restore, Archiving & Discovery and ZCO/Mobile Connectivity) it's the same product. The fee for NE is for the extra features and Support, the feature you're looking for is not available in the OSS version. I believe I've already answered this question for you in another thread, you can use something like Funambol (search the forums for that word) to synchronise your device with Zimbra OSS version.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Network Edition is the same as the OSS version with the addition of a few extra feature, apart from those (basically Backup/Restore, Archiving & Discovery and ZCO/Mobile Connectivity) it's the same product. The fee for NE is for the extra features and Support, the feature you're looking for is not available in the OSS version. I believe I've already answered this question for you in another thread, you can use something like Funambol (search the forums for that word) to synchronise your device with Zimbra OSS version.
    I looked into Funambol. From what I've found, it would fit the bill, if there were a SyncML client for WP7 -- which, unfortunately, there is not. If (and I'm not quite sure it's possible yet) I could get it to sync with a "supported" online account for contacts and calendar (Windows Live or Google), that might work; but it's an idea I'm not too excited about (I'd rather keep my Zimbra data on that server alone, rather than duplicating everything to some third-party service).

    The easiest, most desirable, and most direct route (also most stable, since there'd be fewer "moving parts") would've been to somehow get that existing feature in my current setup. If NE is in fact the same product as OSS, it should be possible; it's just a matter of whether or not it's available. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask -- you don't gain anything by not asking the question.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    10

    Default use IMAP

    IMAP will work for mail syncing. You might be able to use the calendar syncing with the iCal support. Contacts may be a problem though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCowStir View Post
    IMAP will work for mail syncing. You might be able to use the calendar syncing with the iCal support. Contacts may be a problem though.
    Unfortunately, at this time, WP7 doesn't support connecting to random iCal sources. (It doesn't support .ics files, either.) I think it's been rumored to be coming in the next update, but that's months away (and, as you mentioned, still leaves contacts unresolved).

    IMAP does work well. Even got it to work with SSL, after a couple extra steps to get the self-signed certificate installed on the phone.

    Annoying, I know. It's little things like this that are earning the WP7 the reputation for being "incomplete" or "a step backward" (especially considering SyncML was available for Windows Mobile 6).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    454
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Review the following thread. I've tested it on my home sever against my Droid and a friends IPhone4. I've never dealt with a WP7 before, but it may work.

    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/mobilit...nts-tasks.html

    Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lytledd View Post
    Review the following thread. I've tested it on my home sever against my Droid and a friends IPhone4. I've never dealt with a WP7 before, but it may work.

    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/mobilit...nts-tasks.html
    I think that has the same problem. It reportedly works with anything connected by ActiveSync (used by Windows Mobile 6 and earlier), but WP7 doesn't use ActiveSync.

    However, the compatibility list does list Windows Phone 7 as "known to work", so this does bear additional investigation.

    Thanks for the link.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    454
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Another way of saying activesync, in Microsoft speak would be "Exchange"

    Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Similar Threads

  1. Download Free Version?
    By kazooless in forum Virtualization
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2012, 02:27 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2009, 11:01 PM
  3. Debian - Upgrade from 4.5.6
    By magikman in forum Installation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2008, 11:59 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 05:24 AM
  5. Free or paid-for version
    By grunty in forum Installation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 02:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •