Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue with sending mails from outlook

Default Issue with sending mails from outlook

Dear Sir,

We re using zimbra ose 5.0.18_GA.I can able to send and receive mails properly from mail clients including outlook.But in outlook even if the user information is changed like (eg:farouk@example.com to dummy@example.com) still the mail is allowed from the zimbra mail server. There is no email id in the name dummy@example.com in the domain.The server is not checking the user information and it checks only the logon information.How can i stop this. Followed the procedure which is given in wiki for restrict postfix recipients. still it has not solved.

with Regards,

Ramji M.H.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ramjimh View Post
    We re using zimbra ose 5.0.18_GA.I can able to send and receive mails properly from mail clients including outlook.But in outlook even if the user information is changed like (eg:farouk@example.com to dummy@example.com) still the mail is allowed from the zimbra mail server. There is no email id in the name dummy@example.com in the domain.The server is not checking the user information and it checks only the logon information.How can i stop this. Followed the procedure which is given in wiki for restrict postfix recipients. still it has not solved.
    What would you expect it to do? As you're connecting to the server and (presumably) authenticating or on the Trusted Networks then send an email to any address will work - that's what a mail server does or am I missing something in your post?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

why the zimbra mail server is not checking with user information before it sends whether the sender is available in the domain.If it is the situation we can send email with unknown@example.com with any logon information to send mails from outlook.

why the zimbra mail server is not checking with user information before it sends whether the sender is available in the domain.
    Why would it check if you've already authenticated to the server or are sending from the 'Trusted Network'? Have you also modified Zimbra to allow 'sending mail from any address'?

If it is the situation we can send email with unknown@example.com with any logon information to send mails from outlook.
    I don't really understand what that sentence means.
    Regards

Bill

Hi,
    we are using outlook 2007as our email client.Server is zimbra open source edition 5.0.18_GA. We can send mails properly through outlook. while configuring outlook we will give user information,then mail server details for incomming and outgoing, nect we will provide logon information. Problem is sometimes if we change the userinformation to any name like unknown@example.com/dummy@example.com,but the logon information will be same,still zimbra opensource is sending mails to other domain with the modified user information like mail from:dummy@example.com.how can i stop this. If ur having outlook 2007 kindly try this.

with Regards,
    Ramji M.H.

Problem is sometimes if we change the userinformation to any name like unknown@example.com/dummy@example.com,but the logon information will be same,still zimbra opensource is sending mails to other domain with the modified user information like mail from:dummy@example.com.how can i stop this.
    I've already asked you a question about this and you've omitted an answer to it.
    Regards

Bill

Hi Bill,

Can u try with this situation in ur system.what is ur question ,which i ommitted that.

with Regards,

Ramji

Hi Bill,

Example outlook 2007 Configuration

User Information
    Your Name : Farouk
    Email Address : farouk@example.com
    Server Information
    Account type : pop3
    incomming mail : mail.example.com
    outgoing mail(SMTP): mail.example.com

Logon Information

Username: farouk
    password:xxxxxxxx

if the user send email to any other domain within the same domain the mail will reach in the name from:farouk@osais.com

Problem :
    some peoples are changing the user information like instead of farouk they are putting unknown/dummy and email as unknown@example.com/dummy@example.com without changing their logon information and server information.

But still the mail is reaching to the other domain with mail from:unknown@example.com or dummy@example.com

The unknown@osais.com or dummy@osais.com in not in example and still the zimbra mail server is allowing. how can i stop this in sending such mails.

when we try to trace these emails we find only these email id's.kindly provide some solutions.

with Regards,
    Ramji

Hi Bill

If it is the situation we can send email with unknown@example.com with any logon information to send mails from outlook.

Ans : In outlook,u can got to tools --->Account settings---->Choose the email address and click change.in this page u can change the user information to any like unknown as username and email as unknown@example.com and save it.Then from outlook click new mail and try sending it out to other domains.U will find the mail with the modified username and email id.

With Regards,

Ramji

Hi,
    I don't know for ZCS 5.x version, but 6.x and newer versions have under Admin --> General Settings --> MTA an option you are looking for:

"Sender address must be fully qualified (reject_non_fqdn_sender)"

If you check this, your users won't be able to send with non-existing usernames in FROM field, which is what I understand you are looking for. And if this is true, then it has no strict relation only to Outlook, but to any mail client.