Thread: Updating Mail Server WARNING! I'm a Noobie!

Default Updating Mail Server WARNING! I'm a Noobie!

Hi, yes I said it. I'm a noobie and barely know how to navigate in Linux. My previous administrator left and I have to update out mail server with 104 updates and I have no idea how to do it. I was told "it's something like this":

You log in as root, and do something like this:

# Shut down Zimbra:

service zimbra stop

# Do updates:

yum -y update

# Reboot:

shutdown -r now

It will re-start Zimbra when it boots

Is this at all accurate? I appreciate the help. I am pretty computer literate but not when it comes to Linux. I am studying but...May I use a mobile shout out? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan g View Post
    My previous administrator left and I have to update out mail server with 104 updates and I have no idea how to do it. I was told "it's something like this":
    Jonathan,

What you're describing is updating the operating system, not Zimbra. My guess is that you're running the operating system Fedora Core for your Zimbra install.

You should always be careful on doing updates of the operating system with a production server, unless you have an easy way to roll back those updates if something breaks.

But, to answer your question, what you've posted seems to be accurate.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Hi Jonathan,

this will update your OS, but then you should also update Zimbra itself, if you said there are that many updates for the OS I'd presume Zimbra wouldn't be very recent too.

I suppose it's a production server you're updating. Many things could break with an update, especially if you have there some software not managed by the distribution or if you have some advanced configuration in place.

If you're doing this for the first time, I'd suggest having an expert ready at least on the phone and be prepared for some downtime, if things break.

Good luck.